5 Travel Destinations You Should Go Off The Grid To Truly Enjoy

304

Whether you’re in a big city or completely “off the grid,” one thing remains true. Most everything costs money.

As for going “off the grid,” a common fear amongst travelers is being able to navigate destinations that don’t lend themselves to the everyday, credit card-toting family. Sure, the best way to travel is to unplug, let go, and simplify. But even still, you have to plan in advance.

In the case of cash, the Western Union® app puts it in your hands virtually wherever you may be. Want to travel the country? The world? Don’t let the fear of unplugging get in the way of enjoying spots like these.

1. Park City, Utah

You may think, “What is there to do in Utah?” but the real question is, “What is there NOT to do?” Park City is your number one destination for snowboarding, visiting Utah’s Olympic park, river rafting, and much more.

Utah is also home to several other US National Parks, so Park City is only the beginning.

Credit:Ilana Mekler

2. Pig Island, Bahamas

Have you ever dreamt of swimming in the ocean with pigs on an island straight out of “Pirates of the Caribbean”?

This small island in the Bahamas is actually home to about 20 feral pigs. Many tourists travel just to get a chance to swim with them. Oh, and the island is also inhabited by Iguanas too!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_Beach

3. Great Smoky Mountain National Park

Home to the most traveled national park in the country, the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee are some of the most picturesque peaks you can find.

You can spend your day hiking the hundreds of miles of trails or roughing it with a multi-day backcountry camping pass that will take you through some more remote parts of the park.

To avoid getting stuck without a way to pay for your trail map or your backcountry camping pass, make sure you’ve got enough cash on hand.

4. The High Line, NYC

The High Line is a park that was built on an unused, elevated railroad on Manhattan’s West side in New York City.

Now, you’re probably thinking, “New York City? How is that ‘off the grid?’” But hear me out.

There are lots of shops, food carts, and outdoor markets along the High Line that won’t accept your cards –– and these spots make the High Line what it is: an oasis in the heart of New York City.

If your card won’t work and you need cash instead, that’s “out there” enough for me.

Credit: Ilana Mekler

5. El Morro, San Juan, Puerto Rico

This fort was built by the Spanish in order to protect attacks on the city of San Juan. This historical site is from the 16th century and many come to visit not only for its history, but also for its beautiful and scenic view.

Credit: Wikimedia

Whether you are traveling out of the country or you are taking a trip within the United States, Western Union is there for your cash needs. The app is designed to help transfer money smoothly and quickly, and is a useful piece of travel technology to have on hand.

So if you’re in a pinch and far from your bank, a friend or family member can use the app to send you cash that can be picked up at more than 500,000 locations worldwide.

Places like El Morro and Park City call for exploration and adventure where little cash is needed, but when you travel to destinations such as Pig Island and The Highline, sometimes you’re going to have to dish out a little bit more.

That’s where the WU app comes in handy. Don’t let money hold you back from getting to experience the world around you.