Transferring Schools Led Me To My Best Friend

When a Marathoner and a Pageant Queen join the Cross Country team...

535
Gina Capone

I never thought the sound of bangle bracelets clanking on a run could sound so comforting, but now it's something I yearn for.

You see, I never liked to run with people; I liked the quiet. Last August, that changed. That's when I met my best friend.

The first thing that I ever heard her say was, "I'm competing to become the next Miss New Jersey". That was about all I needed to know, to know that I would not be befriending her. She had blonde hair, freckles, and always wore her jewelry; we were polar opposites. If you told me she would be my best friend within a few weeks, I never would've believed you.

I will admit, when I hear the word pageant, I automatically think "Toddlers in Tiaras", tutus, and way too much makeup. I stereotyped the living hell out of this girl before I even said two words to her. In my mind, I already knew exactly who she was, and I wanted nothing to do with her. After all, all pageant girls care about are fake eyelashes, spray tans, and world peace.

I found out that she was a transfer student as well. She came from running at a Division II College. That's when I definitely knew I couldn't hang around her because she was way too fast for a runner like me. She wanted a new opportunity to experience running at a lower competitive level, and it was the bravest thing she's ever done.

At the time, I was a four-time marathoner, coming from a community college who did not know a single thing about collegiate running. Not only did I know nothing about Cross Country, but I also felt like a freshman because I knew absolutely no one.

She always leads the pack with the other fast girls on the team as I hung in the back, too timid to be anywhere near the front. All I could hear was clanking bangles with every step growing fainter as the gap between us grew larger.

I knew I could try to keep up if I listened for the sound.

Weeks went by, and I can't tell you the exact moment we became friends, but all I know is I can't imagine not being her friend. Workout after workout, she screamed my name to keep up with her. She told me she'd buy me my favorite ice cream after the workout if I kept on pace.

The other girls on our team looked at her like she was Satan for yelling at me, but it was exactly what I needed. She made me into the fastest runner I had ever been. She went on to winning Rookie of the Year; I admired how she could push past the point of pain and never succumb to it.

The friend that everyone needs.

After months of being together almost every day, it is clear to me now why God brought her into my life. We both came to Rowan University in hopes of new opportunists, better experiences, and a continued education.

We didn't transfer expecting to find a partner in crime, but the best friendships are the unexpected ones. Seven months ago, we were strangers.

This time last year, I had no idea who she was or that we would be living five minutes down the road from each other and be inseparable.

She opened up to me about things I never knew about her, and I learned the real reason behind why she competes. Her organization is in memory of her father who passed away from cancer almost a decade ago. With her smile and energy, you'd never know she lost one of the most important people in her life.

I now understand what shaped her into who she is today. I learned that she would bend over backward for just about anyone. She's the friend you can call at 3 A.M.; she'll pick up and tell you she's coming to get you.

You can ask her to do almost any favor and she'd agree without any hesitation. If you tell her to jump, the only question she will ever ask is, "How high?"

She lives to show the world she is so much more than a sassy blonde, but a strong, intelligent, daring woman who will kick your butt in any competition. This girl loves to win. But she also loves to fail because it keeps her hungry.

I learn more things from her every day, and she inspires me to never care what people think about me. She has no filter, and she is not apologetic about it.

I have social anxiety. I constantly obsess over what people are thinking of me; if they like me or if they think I'm annoying. I'm afraid of failing miserably. I keep my opinions to myself and hate conflict.

Like I said, we couldn't be more opposite, and that's why we are such good friends. She tells me to shut up when I won't stop talking. She tells me when I'm being too sensitive and when I'm being a b*tch. Everyone needs a friend like that.

I am now certain that she will be a lifelong friend of mine, even after graduation and her winning Miss New Jersey.

I was always told to never judge a book by its cover, but even at 20 years old, I still did. But that's okay, it taught me firsthand that stereotypes are just stereotypes. They are only true if we allow them to be. If I never got the chance to know her then, to me, she would always be a world peace type of girl (she's more of a Save Your Lungs, Save Your Lifeadvocate).

The moral of the story is if I never got to know her, I'd be missing out on a great addition to my life. I would have one less support system, one less partner in crime. But most importantly, I wouldn't have someone to eat copious amounts of Skinny Pop, Twizzlers, and Jelly Beans with (priorities, duh!).

So, when everything in you is telling you not to get to know someone, I want you to do the exact opposite. I challenge you to go up to them and ask them the names of their four siblings and five cats, what their favorite song is, and who broke their heart.

Learn the things about them no one else knows because maybe, just maybe, you'll have something in common.

My best friend is a Pageant Queen, what's yours?