A Transfer Student's Guide To Staying Sane In College

Transferring schools can be hard, but focusing on your health and happiness makes it easier.

125
Becca Tapert on Unsplash

I think a lot of us struggle with finding balance in college. I know I certainly do. Between friends, studying for that test coming up and fitting that workout in.

It is OK to not be OK!

At the beginning of last semester, I was new to campus and new to the area. I didn't know what to expect but I knew I wanted to make it my best semester yet. I was still getting used to school but knew I had to join things to get involved. I was definitely overwhelmed as I got lost on campus and turned around easily. I would try and laugh it off but on the inside was freaking out. Getting all the access codes, textbooks and homework assignments in order was a mess. Everything was thrown at me at once but I knew I just had to take it day by day.

I joined Alpha Kappa Psi, a business fraternity to meet friends and grow professionally. I enjoyed weekends with my roommates and soon things were falling into place. Getting classes in place and learning the fastest route to the other side of campus all helped me get settled in, but I knew it was time to make a healthy routine in order to stay in check. It was important to find healthy meals on the run and ways to get in shape and go to sleep at a decent time.

"My biggest perk of the day is getting to workout, it helps me stay sane."

Whenever I was tired, anxious, or stressed about something happening, I knew it was time to step away from the wild scene of life and focus on myself. I would plug in my headphones and focus on breathing. I joined a gym called Orange Theory which pushed me in a fun, self-motivating way.

I got little smoothie packs that were fast and easy for getting my daily fruit intake. I then started to incorporate doing my homework in the morning so I could wind down at night. It is important to focus on yourself at night and get some of that me-time! You need it! I promise it will lead to a better night sleep.

Once I figured out a routine of school, homework, working out and making sure I ate somewhat healthily (for the most part) I felt overall more happy and ready to look forward to another day of improving myself and feeling good. Even for the frantic transfer student who is lost and confused, it will all fall into place. It always does.

When school gets overwhelming, focus on something else, focus on YOU!