To That Girl Who Doesn't Want Transgender Children

Trans people are valid.

133
Business Insider

I decided to write this as a response to " My Child Will Not Be Allowed To Be Transgender ."

My question is why does someone feel that way?

I don't understand how someone could hate their child, just because they don't agree with how they feel. I like to hope that people love and support their children unconditionally. I can say with 100% certainty that I will. My children will never know the pain of feeling unloved by their mother.

One argument against transgenderism is religion. Honestly, I'm not religious so I may be wrong here, but from what I understand, God doesn't make mistakes. If that's true, then why can't you trust him when your child wasn't assigned the right gender biologically? If you trust God without question, then why is it wrong for your child to identify how they feel? To me, it seems that it would be God's will for someone to feel this way. I've always heard that God loves everyone, regardless of our sins. So, it makes sense to me that he would accept people who identify as transgender as well.

I think that one reason many people are unwilling to accept those who identify as transgender is because how ingrained gender roles are in our society. These expectations begin before the baby is even born. We place a lot of emphasis on finding out the gender of our future children. People have begun throwing gender reveal parties. We are so focused on not buying things in "girl colors" for boys or things in "boy colors" for girls. We continue these through their childhood. Boys grow up hearing things like, "be a man," and "boys don't cry." They're told that they should be strong, assertive, and competitive. Girls grow up hearing "be a lady." and "you're so beautiful" They're taught to be submissive, emotional, and motherly. These intense gender roles in our culture only encourage people to not attempt to understand or support those who don't feel like they fit with the gender binary.

Now, let's talk about mental disorders. Generalized Anxiety Disorder is one. Major Depressive Disorder is one. These things, and many others, have symptoms and diagnostic criteria. Most importantly, these can be treated. According to a study conducted by professor at National Autonomous University of Mexico, Geoffrey Reed and published in "The Lancet Psychiatry," transgenderism isn't a mental disorder. It is simply who someone is inside. There are no symptoms or diagnostic criteria. Most importantly, there is no way (or reason!) to treat it or "make it go away." Years ago, being gay or a lesbian was considered a mental disorder. Do you see how crazy that concept is today? The idea that you can treat someone into being attracted to the opposite sex is ridiculous. I firmly believe that in a few years, the idea of curing someone of transgenderism will seem just as crazy. But, there's no reason that we need to wait a few years before accepting that.

We, as a culture, should accept and love all of our people, no matter how they identify. We need to open our hearts and minds to people who are different from us. If anyone is feeling this way, please reach out to someone. I promise, there are people who care and will try to understand. One resource is The Trevor Project. On their website, you can find a helpline, an online chat, and a text messaging service.