Training In The Arts Makes Us Better Human Beings

Practicing the arts is one of the few things in life where you are so outrageously present; that nothing else bothers you.

133
Eleftheria Giannopoulos

"Your major is worthless." "Oh, you're studying the arts? That's cool..." "So what are you going to do with that?" Countless phrases that we, individuals who are studying the arts, hear. We spend our time perfecting a craft that we love while simultaneously dodging the comments and judgmental remarks made by people who lack appreciation for what the arts are and what we as artists stand for.

The arts have taught me so much more than performance or how to hang a light. Studying the arts has brought me confidence, friendship, empowerment, collaboration, and passion. One of the most important influences the arts has had on me is it has made me a better human being, and here are some reasons why.

The arts make us aware that it takes time and commitment in order to see improvement.

In the digital age in which we live, it takes little to no time to receive results. Have a question or need the answer to something? Google it. Need to contact someone? Call or text them. Communication in this era is instantaneous, we rarely have to wait for anything anymore.

However, artists know that proficiency and natural talent are not enough. Improving our skillset takes time, especially if we want it to have value. In order to set oneself above or apart from others, we commit to our craft. To change social norms and break down barriers with our work we practice and put in work day after day, week after week, year after year.

As artists, we know that great art does not happen overnight. In order for our art to mean something, whether we are creating the art for an audience, our peers, or ourselves, the core of our training and our work is the amount of effort that we put into it so that we can create something incredible.

They teach us to see failure as opportunity.

It is apparent in this industry that for every 100 "No's" an artist will receive, they will get 1 "Yes." It is the name of the game, this business is challenging, brutal, and at times unfair.

The thing about being in the arts world is you have to be strong, both mentally and physically. You have to have a good head on your shoulders. You have to be able to look rejection in the face and see it as a chance to explore something else, something new. The failure to book a job or get cast in a production allows the door to open for another chance to prove oneself somewhere else. It may allow an individual to dabble in an area they never thought they would find themselves in; it opens up the a window to learn.

The arts show us that cutting corners or seeking the easy way out are not options.

Similar to our awareness of how improvement takes time, we, as artists, are clear that progression is no easy feat. Every artist starts from the beginning, whether they embark on their training at 2-years-old or 20-years-old.

If an individual attempts to progress too quickly, if they seek to get ahead at a speed faster than their body and mind is ready for, gaps will begin to develop. The individual may miss out on information and skills that, although may take more time to learn, could potentially progress them past what they achieve by cutting corners.

Artists have a strong consciousness of the value behind giving their all into achieving greatness. They are able to see the worth and feel the excitement that comes with putting full effort into improving oneself and one's skills, and I, as an artist, live for those moments where I can say that all of the work I gave was worth it.

They allow us to learn that you don't get something from nothing.

As artists, we are entitled to what we earn based on the effort that we give. We are aware that what we earn does not have to be perfection, but we will put in the amount of work to get ourselves pretty darn close.

We show up, we are prepared, we work hard, we sweat, and we persevere.

We strive to achieve the impossible. We know that what we put in, we will in turn receive the benefits of the effort. We as artists work to tell a story. To transform ourselves and the space around us. To transport our audiences. And from this something, we get a great deal more than nothing.

Practicing the arts is one of the few things in life where you are so outrageously present; that nothing else bothers you. The arts allow us to bring people joy. They allow us to test our limits, to see what we are truly made of. The arts unite us as individuals. They allow for collaboration and growth. They unite us with those around us, and they make us better people.