Train Troubles

Train Troubles

I am a sole train taker.

6
Train Troubles
www.orenstransitpage.com

Being a resident of New York for the past two and half years I have come to the realization that as much as the transportation here is diverse, it also sucks. Moving from Florida, the way to get around, 99% of the time, was by car.

In New York there are Ubers (which I am sure Florida has now as well), yellow cabs, the City Bikes, buses, the people who have cars and trains. If I am forgetting something please let me know. I hate driving. I haven’t had the best experiences behind the wheel but driving never was and never will be my priority. However, I am glad that I know how to drive. I feel like everyone should learn how to drive in case of an emergency.

I am a sole train taker. I take the train everywhere and have only used buses and taxi a handful of time. As much as I am an advocate for public transportation, especially trains, there are a few things that drive me insane.

Price:

When I moved to NY at the end of 2013 one ride was $2.50 now it’s $2.75. A weekly unlimited was $30 now its $31 and a monthly unlimited was $110 and now its $116. For all three price increase I know have to calculate $7.25 any given day into my budget. I never know when I have to get a ride, a weekly or a monthly. It all depends on how busy I am during the week and NY is already expensive enough as it is, an increase on transportation is not helping.

Under-Construction:

Is it me or are the trains ALWAYS under construction? I mean, since I’ve moved I’ve had to find some other way to get from point A to point B for most part of the weekends. The constructions always happen on the weekends. Why can’t they happen from Monday-Thursday between the hours of 12-6 a.m.? We need our trains on the weekends.

Over Packed:

If you’ve taken the trains anywhere in the world, not just NYC, then you know one of the main frustrating things to happen is when the train is packed to capacity. Not another soul can fit in there and boy is it annoying, especially if you are in a hurry or is late for work. People. Won’t. Budge. They won’t move even if their life depended on it.

There’s a lot more from where that came from but you’ll have to tune in for the next installment. I want to get other people’s opinion as well. That should be fun.