Traditionally Untraditional

Traditionally Untraditional

How do your Thanksgiving traditions compare to mine?

54
Traditionally Untraditional

Every family has their traditions. And every family's traditions are intensified during the holidays. My family's most famous tradition is that of our Thanksgiving attire.

A few years ago my mom made the rule that if you want to eat any type of Thanksgiving food, you were required to dress like one of two options: an Indian or a pilgrim. This created a unique (and equally strange) experience at my house every year on that third Thursday of November. When my mom sent out the email announcing this new rule, a couple of my cousins texted me asking if my mom was serious. I had to tell them yes, she was, and as crazy as she was, this was going to be awesome.

I have dressed up as an Indian for the past 3 years. The first year we were kind of hesitant with our costumes. We put on our outfits and braided our hair and we called it good. It was enough for the first go. The second year we applied this rule, my 20 something family members and I went hard. We had face paint, props, and outfits to change into after we ate (to accommodate our food babies, you live and you learn, right?). Last year we slowed down a little bit, but it's a tradition nonetheless.

My mom has began to add variations to costumes. One year the theme of Duck Dynasty was an option alongside the pilgrim/Indian criteria, so my uncle showed up with a full beard and camouflage everything. This year dressing as a crazy Broncos fan is also acceptable, so who knows what the end result will be, but I do know that although my family is weird as heck we have fun anyway.

For the holidays this year, I encourage you to embrace your family's strange traditions and habits. You may not have to wear costumes or face paint or stick feathers in your hair, but I'm sure there is something that you do every year under the circumstances of trying to please your mom, grandma, or some relative. Do it proudly. Wear that feather in your hair as if there is nothing else you would rather do. Family is weird, relatives can be weird, but they're your people.