Track by Track Review of Folklore by Taylor Swift

Spoiler Alert: my all time favorite project

82

This is the album I have waited years for. It is pure excellence.

the 1

Taylor Swift started an album with the lyrics "I'm doing good I'm on some new shit" and I love that for her. This is a top three song for me it's so good and such a good opener to this incredible body of work. This track feels very mature and I have a strong urge to move to New York and dance in my studio apartment to this song.

cardigan

I think this is the perfect first single it's beautiful and showcases her incredible voice as well as her lyrical ability. Plus the cardigans she's selling are so cute and I want 10. The video that goes along with the song is whimsical and magical and it makes me feel like I'm watching a live-action Disney movie.

the last great american dynasty

This is it this is my favorite song on the album what a fucking stellar track. She wrote this song about the previous owners of her Rhode Island home and what a unique point of view for a song?? I have never heard anything like it and it just further goes to prove Taylor Swift is that bitch.

exile ft bon iver

The first time I listened to this song I cried and have every time since then. Taylor's voice was meant to harmonize with Bon Iver's It's the most beautiful thing I've ever heard. Her voice in this song is so soft and pure and his is so soothing and smooth and I can't get enough. I think I will take a bath and light some candles and just listen to this on repeat.

my tears ricochet

This song is Haunting and so incredibly heartbreaking. If you're a Taylor Swift fan you know about track 5 and this was a classic track five but in it's the strongest and best form. The lyrics are Taylor out doing herself I have been a fan for a decade and this is the most vulnerable I've heard her be (perhaps besides Soon You'll Get Better)

mirrorball

I will admit this one took me a few listens but once I got it I GOT IT. It's so breathy and beautiful and her head voice is incredible.

seven

This song gives me major safe and sound and eyes open vibes and I love it! Also, of course, she made seven track 7. This song is written as if its two kids and that's beautiful and so pure.

august

I am left completely unsurprised that august is track 8. This song is very summery in the most calming whimsical way and makes me want to listen to it with the windows down along the coast.

this is me trying

This song isn't a stand out for me but I still appreciate how beautiful it is and how incredible her voice sounds. I do really love the vocal effects as well as just the tone and do think as always the lyrics are strong.

illicit affairs

HOLY SHIT. I am completely in love with this song and the meaning and the lyrics just everything from top to bottom is pure genius. If I could sit down with Taylor and gush about one song in her discography it would be this one, I can't get over it. When I heard her say "look at this idiotic fool that you made me" I was so taken aback at how powerful that line was. This song will go down for me as one of the best ever written.

invisible string

The Beginning of this song has such a nice flow and leads into such a good chorus. I love that she references hearing bad blood on the radio and a waitress telling her she looks like Taylor Swift that is adorable and so specific to put into a song when talking about your day with someone.

mad woman

The first time that Taylor had ever said fuck in a song and I am 100% here for it. The concept of this song is incredible and it's so real and the whole time I was listening to it I was just agreeing with every word she sang.

epiphany

This is another song that took a few listens but I am fully on board now. Her vocals in this song are haunting and stunning and has confirmed I want her to sing me to sleep. I am not sure what exactly it is about but did have an idea that possibly it was about the medical workers during this time? I'm not sure that is just my best guess.

betty

Here it is to wrap up my top three on the album is this wonderful number where we get this story about a love triangle and it's pure perfection. I keep relistening to this one just thinking about how much I love this woman.

peace

This song is so beautiful and feels so full of love. I keep listening and smiling because I can feel how much she deeply cares for joe and the lyrics to this song spell that out. As I'm typing I am listening to this song and just started crying at the lyrics " would it be enough if I could never give you peace". So powerful.

hoax

We wrap this whimsical magical body of work with this beautiful slow-paced closure that I love. Her voice sounds heavenly and I will be listening to this song whenever I want to be even further convinced that Taylor Swift is the all-time greatest.