Your Toxic Friend Definitely Does This

9 Defense Mechanisms You Need To Watch Out For In A Potentially Toxic Friend

They'll probably deny this, too.

27
https://images.pexels.com/photos/984950/pexels-photo-984950.jpeg?auto=compress&cs=tinysrgb&dpr=2&h=750&w=1260

Have you ever had a toxic friend that just wouldn't stop being rude to you but also wouldn't let you go? Unfortunately, I have had plenty in my lifetime. Through the course of friendship with them, I have observed certain undeniable characteristics that have remained constant even though the friends themselves have changed. If you see yourself smiling and nodding along with a certain someone in mind, I think it's time to make like Elsa, and LET IT GO!

Denial

No, of course I don't talk about you behind your back! How could you even say that?

Repression

You can't give me a ride because you have to work Tuesday? I totally forgot about that. Guess you'll just have to give me one anyway, haha.

Regression

*screaming* I want to go to the mall now, and if you don't go with me, I will hate you forever.

Displacement

*breaks up with boyfriend*

You're such a terrible friend. You're never there for me, you don't even want to hang out, and it's like you don't care about me at all!

Projection

I'm not bad at math; you're bad at math.

Reaction formation

*thinks you look amazing when you wear something new*

Oh my god, Regina, you look so ugly in that dress. It's like, ratchet.

SEE ALSO: To My Middle School Bully, Here's The Thank You Note You Never Got

Rationalization

I'm not mean to you because I'm a bad person. You're so stupid I can't help it.

Passive- Agressive Behavior

*doesn't ask you to hang out but asks everyone else in your friend group*

Oh, I wonder how that happened.

Keeping Score

You didn't help me with my psychology project, so I won't tell you what we did in school today.