Must See Movies

5 Must See Movies Before You Turn 25

The classics.

29

You just need to see these by the time you are 25:

The Breakfast Club

Breakfast Club

c1.staticflickr.com

The Breakfast Club is one of the most well-known movies of all time. The story of five kids facing a weekend detention and getting to know each other is one of the best examples of "don't judge a book by its cover". The spoiled princess, the goth/weird chick, the super nerd, the jock and the bad boy all come together to learn that they aren't all that different after all. They also manage to leave a pretty inspiring message behind in their assigned essay when they leave about acceptance. These supposed delinquents learn to come together and accept each other while also accepting parts of their own selves they kept hidden.

Dead Poet's Society

Dead Poet's Society

c1.staticflickr.com

Dead Poet's Society is an excellent example of what parental pressure can look like, inspiring our youth, and learning to follow our own dreams. Nearly every single student that is displayed in the film had aspirations of their own that were largely shot down by their parents. The most notable example of this is Neil, who enjoyed the fine arts but was being pressured into fulfilling his father's dream of medical school. When Neil does choose to follow his own dreams, he is met with opposition and eventually is physically removed from the situation by his own father. The parents blame the school and the teacher that inspired Neil to follow his heart instead of realizing the pressure that they were putting on him. Mr. Keating inspired the youth in his classroom through literature and through poetry. He was able to allow them to feel and express themselves via the written word which eventually inspired a famous stand in those he inspired after Mr. Keating had been removed from his position.

Good Will Hunting

Good Will Hunting

img00.deviantart.net

Good Will Hunting is another excellent example of not judging a book by its cover. The film also delves into teacher to student pressure as well as societal views. The first instance of societal prejudices that comes into play is when Will, a lowly janitor, starts to write on a blackboard in order to solve a complicated math problem. The professor that sees him ultimately assumes that Will must be erasing the board and tries to basically shoo Will away. When he later sees that Will has solved the math problem, the whole relationship changes. The teacher to student pressure comes when Will is being pressured by the professor to go work in a sort of think tank instead of spending time in his home town or with his girlfriend in order to please him. Will is also forced to go to therapy in order to maintain his status as a mentor of the professor.

Schindler's List

Schindler's List

c1.staticflickr.com

Schindler's List is one of the more well-known films regarding the regime of Nazi Germany and the Holocaust. The film helps to display the tale of one man who is forced to make a decision on whether or not to do the right thing as he watches his Jewish employees be persecuted in the name of the Nazi Regime. As the film moves forward, Mr. Schindler is forced to watch as families are first labeled and then persecuted. Mr. Schindler fights with his feelings of nationalism and his need to be a humane person. Continuing throughout the film, it becomes clear that Mr. Schindler is putting aside his fear of death and feelings of any sort of nationalism.

The Silence of the Lambs

The Silence Of The Lambs

c1.staticflickr.com

This film tells the story of an FBI agent who enlists the help of a serial killer in order to catch another serial killer. The film gives a lot of insight into the psyche of those who commit violent crimes. It also helped to showcase the behaviors of those who were committing those violent acts. Clarisse is forced to interact with a flesh-eating serial killer in order to come closer to the killer that she is trying to catch. In interacting with the one killer, she is able to learn quite a bit about him and thus her own serial killer. However, he also learns quite a bit about her and even is interested enough in her to call her from a remote location after he had escaped from his holding facility.