Top 5 Habits of the summer

Home from school, busy with summer jobs, catching up with friends, and making the most of the gorgeous weather, this first month of summer has been a good one. Being home for the summer calls for lots of R&R, home cooking, and getting back to your roots and I've been doing just that; however, I've also been working hard to work a few new habits into my day to day life. Working towards the "Living a healthy lifestyle" goal that everyone seems to be chasing, I have found that this goal is much easier achieved through tiny changes that benefit me rather than big ones that throw my day to day routines off entirely. Here are the top 5 things that I have really worked hard to make permanent in my life; moreover, have helped me gravitate more towards living my best, most healthy life.

1. TONS of H2O

images.pexels.com

This one is huge. Everyone always claims water is the answer to everything, but seriously, it makes a huge difference. Especially as your body acclimates to the warmer weather, getting as much water in your system as you can hurt. Lately, I've become obsessed with putting lemon in my water with tons of ice…not only is it super yummy and refreshing, but my skin has also been glowing and I've been feeling more hydrated than ever.

2. Save the turtles…REUSABLE STRAWS

live.staticflickr.com

This is a trend that I was kind of late to hop on but now that I have, I'm glad I did. I found a cute retractable one on Amazon that clips to my keys and it's the best. Super easy to clean, I take it everywhere and use it at home and on the go. It's an easy way to help the earth and I find it helps me drink more fluids throughout the day.

3. Establish a consistent skin care routine!

upload.wikimedia.org

I found that at school I was doing the bare minimum to keep my skin clear and healthy. Coming home helped me get organized and establish a more in-depth skin care routine that only takes a few minutes out of my day. I look forward to this mini routine every morning and night and I've already reaped the benefits. This act of self-care allows me some time to myself each day to ensure that I look and feel the best that I can and help me heal some of the damage I did while away. Some of my favorite products include Cerave cleansers and moisturizers, Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner, Mario Badescu Facial Sprays and Vitamin C Serum, Kiehl's Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado, Glossier Balm Dotcom, and Rose Quartz Jade Facial Roller from Anthropology!

4. Make time to spend with those you are closest to.

images.pexels.com

For me, this has been with my puppies! Taking them on walks has given me an excuse to get out of the house and move a bit. For you, this can mean spending time with family members, reaching out to old friends, or just surrounding yourself with what makes you happiest! This is a super wholesome way to stay happy and in the loop!

5. Audio books…don’t sleep on them!

images.pexels.com

This started with me road-tripping to Maryland on my own and wanting to listen to something besides music. I've been listening to the Harry Potter books (shout-out to my fellow Potterheads) on tape and I'm obsessed. This has been a great alternative to music while I'm driving, working out, or just getting stuff done around the house and I can't wait to listen to the books that have been on my list for a while now. Audible has been my go-to for this new habit, giving me my first two books for free and being super convenient.

It's not much…but it's a start! I've been focusing more than anything on doing things that help me feel good and I've seen a huge difference in how I go about the rest of my life. You don't have to move mountains to turn your world around, creating small healthy habits work just as much if not more!