Top TV Shows Of 2017 Worth Watching

Top TV Shows Of 2017 Worth Watching

Need to find a new series to watch? The following shows contain their own unique plots with deep meanings that will lure you right in.

68
Top TV Shows Of 2017 Worth Watching

We hear it all the time, "You have to watch this show! It's amazing!" While we all have different preferences with what we choose to watch, however, certain shows lure audiences of all ages and interests in with their mesmerizing plot.

As one who doesn't engage in much television in this era, I have found a handful of TV shows that are beyond incredible from the screenwriting, to the actors, to the deeper meanings behind the struggles the characters face.

Below are what I believe to be the Top 5 shows of 2017

1. "This Is Us"- Writers: Dan Fogelman, Kay Oyegun, Donald Todd, Aurin Squire

Watch on NBC every Tuesday at 9:00 pm EST

This Is Us tells the story of the Pearson family, which consists of parents Jack and Rebecca Pearson. They have triplets names Kevin, Kate, and Kyle. Unfortunately, Kyle did not survive long after birth. Jack and Rebecca were blessed with a miracle the same day of Kyle's passing with an African America newborn left on the steps of the local fire station. Believing it was fate, Jack and Rebecca adopt this boy as their third child of the "triplets" and names him Randall.

The writers exemplify a mix of emotions from love, courage, heartbreak, sadness, triumph, and joy in every episode presented weekly. These emotions allow Kevin, Kate, and Randall to discover a deeper meaning in each of their individual lives in the present day.

Kevin aims to pursue a meaningful career in television, however, problems from his past obstruct him in his present.

Kate struggles with the ability to accept herself as an overweight woman while looking for love.

Randall, a successful businessman, and father uncover information of his biological parents.

What I love about this show is the unity in family, as Randall, Kate, and Kevin depend on each other and support one another as they continue the family legacy of the Pearson family. The writing is fantastic, alternating between before the "Big Three" were born, the children's early childhood, teen years, and in the present day as they are in their mid-thirties.

2. "Riverdale"- Writers: Roberto Aguirre, Cole Sprouse, Greg Berlanti, Marisol Nichols

Watch on the CW every Wednesday at 8:00 pm EST

Riverdale is a town full of mystery and exploring new options. Football player, Archie Andrews is fascinated in pursuing a career in music with the help of his mentor, and love interest, Ms. Grundy, who soon leaves Riverdale leaving Archie lost. His friendship with Jughead Jones continues to fluctuate. Things appear to brighten though as the stunning and dangerous Veronica Lodge moves to Riverdale, experiencing an instant connection to Archie. Despite the chemistry Veronica and Archie share, Veronica remains hesitant to start a relationship with Archie, instead of risking her friendship with innocent Betty Cooper, who has a crush on Archie. In the midst of the teenage drama, the small town of Riverdale faces the mystery of the death of Jason Blossom, brother of the gorgeous and popular devil, Cheryl.

Riverdale offers a high school setting in which many viewers can relate to since most fans are in their high school years. The cliffhangers the writers incorporate into the end of each episode is enough to keep me guessing and on my feet for the following episode. I also enjoy the mix of personalities in the show, ranging from sweet and innocent, to obnoxious, daring and rebellious.

3. "Stranger Things"- Writers: Matt Duffer, Ross Duffer, Justin Doble

Watch on Netflix

This thrilling Netflix original drama stars Golden Globe-winning actress Winona Ryder as Stranger Things takes place in 1983 starring Winona Ryder who plays Joyce Byers. Joyce lives in a small town located in Indiana. Joyce's 12-year-old son, Will, goes missing and launches a frightening investigation into Will's disappearance. In the search for the answers to Will's mysterious disappearance, a series of shocking mysteries are discovered involving secret government experiments, supernatural forces, and an unusual little girl.

I enjoy the mystery this show offers and the plot that continues to lure me in, much like Riverdale.

4. "The Good Doctor"- Writers: David Shore, Hill Harper, Richard Schiff, Beau Garrett

Watch on ABC every Monday at 10:00pm EST

The Good Doctor tells the story of Shaun Murphy, a young autistic surgeon. Shaun has whats called, savant syndrome, a rare but extraordinary condition. He relocates from a quiet country life, where he looks to join the surgical unit at a prestigious San Jose St. Bonaventure Hospital. This relocation was strongly supported by his mentor, Dr. Aaron Glassman. Shaun is alone in a world where he has the inability to personally interact and connect with people around him, in result of a troubled childhood. However, he discovers his niche by utilizing his excellent medical skills, intuition to save lives and challenge his colleagues skepticism.

I love that this show incorporates the developmental disorder, Autism and how the writers utilize Shaun's impairment with his exceptional skills in the medical field. This proves that anything is possible for anyone, including those who have different needs.