Top 10 Podcasts For College Students

Top 10 Podcasts For College Students

Listen to crazy stories or learn something new!

4372
Top 10 Podcasts For College Students
ilounge

Electronics are what run our generation. With the news at the tips of our fingers and our friends a text away, it is hard to take a few moments for yourself. Through all the music and videos and noise, I have found the joy in yet another digital app that makes me take a moment, either during a run or just in my car. So without further ado, I have gathered what I believe are some of the best Podcasts I have encountered so far.

1. Reply All

In a world that seems to be run by the internet, it makes sense that we have a podcast about exactly that, the internet. It is hosted by PJ Vogt and Alex Goldman. Each episode talks about either someone else’s or one of the hosts encounters with something weird on the internet. From a 60-year-old woman getting catfished, the internet stealing someone’s dog, or taking acid during work. You are sure to find something new and interesting in each episode.

2. Serial Season 1

This is a more serious podcast. Right now it involves two series. The first, my favorite, is about a murder and the boy, now man, Adnan Syed who was convicted. The host takes you through the evidence, the court case, the witnesses, and every other detail she can dig her hands into. This definitely makes you question what really happened. As for if he is guilty or not? Well you’ll just have to listen to find out.

3. Serial Season 2

Yes, I know this is sort of cheating splitting the seasons up, but the two seasons are very different. Season two follows the solider, Bowe Bergdahl. You probably heard about him on the news a few years ago. He walked off his post, where he was captured by the Taliban. This season goes into the story of why he did what he did and what it was like being a prisoner of war for so long.

4. Embedded

I found this podcast after listening to Serial. Each episode follows a different news story. The host, Kelly McEvers, picks a story, then travels to the location, and goes deeper than the media did or wanted to go. In each one, you hear amazing stories of sorrow, addiction and love.

5. The Behemoth

This is on the fictional side of the Podcast world. Behemoth is a giant that walks out of the water and decides to cross the United States. A young girl walks with him. As they cross the country, she learns more about herself, and occasionally helps save him from the Army. It consists of 20 episodes that are each 15 minutes.

6. Scotch

Scotch is another story, made by the same individuals as the ones who created the Behemoth. However, the story is different. A girl lives alone in her apartment. She starts to record her story about what she believes is happening. Over the episodes she has “black outs”, people are turning up hurt, and things start to go missing. She tries to grapple the idea that the person doing these horrible things might be her, and if it is, how would she begin to stop herself.

7. Modern Love

“Stories about the messiness of human connections.” Every podcast has a different story about love, loss, or redemption. They can be stories about a relationship lasting 12 hours or 20 years. Some about lovers and some about good friends. One of my favorites is a woman’s relationship with her doorman in Episode 22. These stories will make you smile and melt your heart.

8. Let’s Know Things

Ever wondered about the history of remote controls? Or maybe the ideas behind artificial intelligence? These are 40 minute long episodes that take a new idea, or old idea, and discuss the history behind it. If you are in the mood to learn something new, this is definitely one to try.

9. Science VS

This podcast is created by the same company that made Reply All. In these episodes, the host separates what is fact from myth. “They do the hard work of sifting through all the science so you don’t have to” This podcast is fairly new, so waiting for episodes is the only downside!

10. Stuff You Should Know

Very similar to Let’s Know Things, Stuff You Should Know is hosted by Josh and Chuck. These guys talk about anything from mermaids to night terrors, from how space stations work to LSD. Each episode is interesting and usually funny. It is just an added bonus that you learn something new in the process!