My Throwback Halloween Costumes

My Throwback Halloween Costumes

Everyone has a favorite Halloween costume from their youth, and I found mine!

115
My Throwback Halloween Costumes
Elisa Nunez-Rodriguez

As we've gotten older, our Halloween traditions have changed. We used to trick-or-treat the second the sun went down until our parents ushered us home. As we got to middle school, we got to stay out later and spook the little kids that walked a little too close to the bushes. Once college rolled around, the trick-or-treating came to a halt, and suddenly Halloween parties became all the rage.

The one tradition that remains constant are the costumes. As the years go on, the costumes become more elaborate, and maybe a little more provocative. The one thing I miss most about my younger years as a Halloween fanatic were the costumes my mom had me wear. Was I embarrassed when my throwback Halloween pictures resurfaced? Absolutely not. Everyone should embrace their youth and the wacky costumes they wore. Here are my top throwback costumes.

1. The Pink Princess and Queen Amidala.

I have to give credit to my older sister on this one. She really stole the show in her Queen Amidala costume. She used to practice her makeup for her costume on me, saying she wanted it to be perfect when she would wear it.

2. The Coolest Costumers.

A cowgirl, Dorothy, a spider witch, and Buzz LightYear, walk into a bar...

3. Cinderella.

My happiest moment was getting to dress up like Cinderella. My mom would sing "A Dream is a Wish" to me every night before bed as a kid, and it really had me thinking I was a princess. I think I wore this costume almost every day following that Halloween.

4. The Never-Matching Sisters.

Some siblings like to wear similar costumes, like the year my neighbors dressed as blue and pink geishas. But my sisters and I could never coordinate our costumes. So we've got Venus, a pirate, and some sort of wizard.

5. Getting in touch with my heritage.

I got to wear this little getup for a Hispanic Heritage Show at school, representing my family's country, Cuba. Everyone thought I was so cute for holding the skirt up the whole time, like an old Cuban dancer, but the skirt was so heavy that I had to hold it up, or it'd drag me down.

6. The Little Indian.

My mom said I looked so much like her with the dark wig, that I insisted on wearing it every day! All of the teachers at my preschool that day said I was a miniature version of her.

At the end of every Halloween night, I'd hide away in my bedroom and count all of my candy, marking every piece I'd eat that night and every piece I'd take to school the next day. As I got older, I'd be allowed to sit with my mom and older sister and watch Sleepy Hollow with them before bed, which would prove how brave I was. It was the little things that made my Halloween so worth the wait.