Top 10 Reasons I Am Thankful This Holiday Season

Find reason to count the blessings.

311
Alexandra Comer

Take a minute this holiday season to stop and appreciate the things you are thankful for. With Thanksgiving being just a few days away and Christmas right around the corner, it is easy to get caught up in all the excitement of the holidays--the good food, the presents, all of the fun things that come with this time of year. We’re all guilty of it. But, we often forget that especially around this time of year, it is really important for us to just remember the important things in life and count our blessings.

When you really stop and think about everything, a lot of people are not as lucky as some of us are; not just during the holidays, but all year round, so it’s nice to just take some time to appreciate all the things you have. Here is a list of 10 things I am thankful for, and we should also be thankful for this holiday season.

1. To be alive.

This is the number one thing you should be thankful for all year round, but especially during the holidays. Being around to see another year is a privilege denied to many, and it is especially painful around the holidays when you have loved ones that are no longer here. Live every day like it’s your last, never take a day for granted, and appreciate the holidays you get to spend with the people you love

2. For the love captured in life.

A lot of people say they are specifically thankful for their family, friends, significant others, etc.; however, many people miss out on being thankful for the biggest thing that these people bring to their lives, and that my friends, is love. For every encouraging text/post/tweet/etc., I feel the love. For every hug, kiss, smile, I feel the love. For the moments when I don't deserve it, I feel the love from those that surround me. And even more so, I'm grateful for the unconditional love from my dog.

3. To have the opportunity to help others

I am grateful for the opportunity Alpha Delta Pi has provided me with being able to help families nationwide through the Ronald McDonald House Charities. Being apart of such a great cause and contributing to an image greater than anything I have ever experienced creates such a humbling and warming objective in giving back. Organizations like these exemplify the power of people and togetherness.

4. My girlfriends.

There is truly no way I could ever make it without you. You are the type of people anyone would be blessed to have in their life, and I am beyond lucky to say I have strong, confident, and independent women who challenge me out of my comfort zone and help me grow daily. I don't know how I lived before I met you, but now I couldn't imagine life without your wild and free-spirited presences.

5. My parents.

For supporting me through the thick and the thin, and providing me with unconditional love. I love you both so much, and I owe everything to you. Thank you for exemplifying work ethic, morals, and endless love up to now. I'd be so lucky to be half of what you both are for me.

6. The stars.

The endless galaxy and the infinite stretch of stars on a clear night inspire the galaxies in my mind filled with curiosity and ambition in all that life have to offer and beyond such. The stars remind me of the intricacy and appreciation of all that's out there and reminds me to constantly shoot higher.

7. Laughing so hard that no noise comes out.

And instead, I just sit there and clap like a silly seal. I love that: being surrounded by those who vibe on the positive company and good conversation.

8. My Big.

Hey sista, soul sista. I am blessed beyond compare to have you in my life. You are my soul sister, and that's the single way I know how to describe it as. For being someone I can confide in when I need a shoulder, for the endless laughter, the personal conversations, the unconditional love, and for always challenging me to be better than who I was yesterday. You are a woman of dignity and strength, and someone I so dearly admire.

9. For the leap of faith moments.

I am thankful for the moments that make me feel fearful to jump because those are typically the leaps that assert the most growth and provide value in the course of the circumstance's wisdom. For the moments that prove to me that life is not about coloring inside the lines, but crossing them. To ensure the security comfort zones are psychological and there is so much to benefit from living outside of the boundaries drawn yesterday.

10. My sister.

You are my best friend, and there is no way I could make it without you. You know me better than I feel I know myself sometimes, and from the womb to the tomb, there is not a thing I wouldn't do for you. Thanks for tolerating me all these years, and thanks in advance for the evermore to follow.

The holiday season is a cherishable time to spend with those who mean the most to us. It's easy to become wrapped in life's complications and fall blind to all that life has brought to be blessed with. Allow this time of the year to be one to remind us of all life offers.