Top 9 Moments from the 2018 Golden Globes

I am so happy to see Hollywood stand up for what they believe in.

420
Time

1. Time's Up

The Time's Up initiative that was celebrated at the Golden Globes was electric. You could feel the passion of these women who decided that enough was enough. As a young woman myself, I find it inspiring and I believe that it should provoke a conversation. There are many criticisms involving this movement, including non-celebrities denouncing the sentiments of the attendees because, "They have nothing to complain about! They have stacks of money to go home to!" What we as people seem to have lost is compassion. Money does not buy happiness or respect in the day and age of the Internet. These celebrities are under fire for making a statement and taking a stand, just because of how much money they make. Instead of complaining, we should be thankful that they are using this platform to reach across as many people as they can.

2. Oprah's Speech

(If you have not seen her speech, click on the gif to see the video of it.)

"A new day is on the horizon!" Also, did anyone else get chills when she said "Their time's up," and everyone stood up and clapped for her? Oh, everyone did? Good.

3. Seth Meyers' Opening Speech

(If you have not seen his speech, click on the first gif to see the video of it.)

Meyers had a tough job of setting the mood for the night considering the circumstances, and he definitely did not disappoint. He called out men like Harvey Weinstein and Kevin Spacey who abused their power Then, he enlisted the help of people who are not straight white men to make punchlines he cannot for a segment he calls “Jokes Seth Can’t Make”: Jessica Chastain, Billy Eichner, Issa Rae, Hong Chau, and Amy Poehler.

(If you have not seen Seth and Amy's moment, click the gif below)

4. Helen Mirren and Viola Davis presenting the first award of the night

(If you have not seen their moment, click on the gif to see the video of it.)

The awards portion of the evening started with a pairing no one knew they needed until it actually happened: Helen Mirren and Viola Davis. The two co-presented the award for "Best Supporting Actor in a Movie."

5. Natalie Portman telling it like it is

While presenting the award for "Best Director - Motion Picture" with Ron Howard, Natalie Portman said, "And here are the All Male Nominees." I knew I loved Natalie Portman the minute I saw her in Star Wars, but this shade has really won me over. This followed Oprah's speech, and is later expanded upon by Barbra Streisand.

6. Get Out Won!... Nothing

Critically acclaimed films including Get Out,The Post and Dunkirk failed to win any Golden Globe awards Sunday night, despite high praise for the films. Seth Meyers even made a joke about how many awards The Post would win, as it stars Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks, is directed by Steven Spielberg, and was nominated for SEVEN awards. Get Out fans felt like they were "in the sunken place" after the snub.

7. Sterling K. Brown's win

(If you have not seen his acceptance speech, click the gif below to see a video of it.)

Brown took home the award for his portrayal of Randall Pearson on This Is Us, becoming the first black man to win a Golden Globe in this category. In his speech, Brown thanked This Is Us showrunner Dan Fogelman for creating a role specifically for a black man to play:

"Dan Fogleman, you wrote a role for a black man. Like, that could only be played by a black man. And so what I appreciate so much about this thing is that I've been seen for who I am and being appreciated for who I am. And it makes it that much more difficult to dismiss me or dismiss anybody who looks like me."

8. Barbra Streisand demanding equality

(If you have not seen her moment, click on the gif to see the video of it.)

Streisand began by calling out the HFPA for only awarding one woman for "Best Director" in the 75 years the Golden Globes has been run. The only female to ever win the category was her in 1984 (which she points out was THIRTY YEARS AGO!)

"We need more women directors and more women to be nominated for best director. There are so many films out there that are so good directed by women. People who speak out against gender inequality, sexual harassment, and the pettiness that has poisoned our politics. Truth is powerful, and in a really good film, we recognize the truth about ourselves, about others, and it's so powerful that it can even change people's minds, touch people's hearts, and ultimately even change society itself."

9. Laura Dern calls for an end

(If you have not seen her acceptance speech, click the gif to see the video of it.)

Big Little Lies. In her acceptance speech, she connected Renata's desire for justice for her bullied daughter to the larger conversation surrounding #MeToo and Time's Up in Hollywood:

"To David E. Kelly, our superhero who took Liane's words and gave me particularly the most outrageous, complicated woman and a terrified mother—terrified because her little girl was being abused and bullied and she was too afraid to speak up. Many of us were taught not to tattle. It was a culture of silencing and that was normalized. I urge all of us to not only support survivors and bystanders who are brave enough to tell their truth, but to promote restorative justice. May we also please protect and employ them."