Top 5 Winter Clothes For Sub-Freezing Weather

Best ways to stay warm this winter.
275

Recently my friends and I took the Metro up to Washington DC to spend the afternoon at the National Art Gallery. We’re all Northern Virginia natives so we’re not unfamiliar with cold weather, but this week was the first one this year with temperatures below freezing. Additionally, the area of DC we were in has a good number of tall buildings which means lots of wind. Between our Virginia experiences, and the experiences of my friend who goes to school in Idaho, we were all well bundled for our adventure. Here’s the five items of clothing I think are essential for going out in cold weather.

Gloves

I prefer gloves over mittens so that I have full use of my fingers without having to take them off. Mine happen to have pads on the index fingers and thumbs that let me use my phone easily as well but there are also pens with rubber ends that can be used as a substitute so you can keep your gloves on.

Hat

Whatever hat you wear make sure it covers your ears and the top of your head. An earmuff can be added if your hat isn’t quite long enough but that is one more piece of clothing that you’ll have to keep track of once you start taking off layers.

Scarf

My preferred scarf is long and wide, so I can wrap it around my face once and tuck it into my coat for extra warmth. Between my hat, my scarf, and my sunglasses (because it was cold but not cloudy), you could not see my face, which also meant the cold couldn’t get to it. I did have a bit of a fogging problem between the glasses and the scarf but it was an acceptable exchange.

Long Socks

Depending on what shoes you wear, a thick fuzzy pair of socks is not out of the question either. That little extra bit of warmth goes a long way. If they get too warm you can push them down to cool off and pull them back up once you’re cold again.

Long Coat

This is another personal preference. I have a trench coat that covers my thighs which is great for protection against the wind. If you don’t have a long coat but you want to keep your thighs warm, I recommend a simple pair of legging or tights. Nothing too thick if you’re going to be walking around