5 Ways To Keep Long-Distance Families Connected

Distance can really suck sometimes, but there are ways to make it better.

12
Sophia Camaya

Growing up as a military brat, it has been easier for me to make sure that I stay in consistent contact with my parents. Especially since my parents are moving to the opposite side of the country, I am upping my consistency to the maximum level to make sure I hear from them at least once a day. Staying connected with family when you're on opposite sides of the country may sound hard, but you have to make the effort. You always want your family to know that you're thinking about them, even when you're far away. Some of us are out-of-staters that come to college, or some of us are used to some kind of distance, but overall, it is important to keep in touch with family all the time. Here's how to do that.

1. Constant FaceTime calls.

Even when I lived in the dorms, I always called my mom to see what she was up to and how our dog was before she lived with me. It was and still is tough being away from your mom. Both of your parents are your best friends, and you just always want to talk to them or be near. FaceTime can be a way to do both -- not only can you talk on the phone, but you can see them on your phone's screen.

2. Keep having family traditions, even if you're apart.

Every Christmas, my parents and I always buy a gingerbread house and make it together. Well, Dad and I do, and Mom just takes pictures. I'm going to make one this year and make my boyfriend do it with me and take a picture and send it to my parents.

3. Make holiday cards and take photos.

Since I won't be able to spend a lot of holidays with my parents, I'm going to be more on top of my holiday-card game. I'm going to send cards of every holiday with a holiday-themed photo from my Fuji Film Camera. The photos are cuter and more vintage and have a homey vibe to them.

4. Send your parent the occasional care package for a change.

Since my mom used to send me care packages during college, I have decided that when I am on adventures to different places, I am going to pick up a little souvenir each time and put it in a bi-monthly package. These will be items that my dad can turn into Christmas ornaments. This is a good way to let your parents know that you miss them and think of them on your little trips.

My mom used to do these for me and my dad by making them themed. You can do that for your parents or just pick up some nice goodies and mail them to their house every so often.

5. Start your holiday shopping early.

This is a good idea because you can fill a box with some really great goodies that you've found or that were from their wishlist so that once December comes, all you need to do is simply seal and address the package to them. Easy as pie, but also filled with thought. This is a smart idea if you are spending the holidays away from family.