5 Things You Learn From Being A Snow Sport Instructor

Who said work can't be fun?

11

Winter can mean a variety of things such as Christmas or cold weather, but there is a group of us out there that can only think of one thing: Opening Day. We've had our skis and boards sharpened and waxed waiting for the day the slopes finally open. For some of us though, it means much more than fresh powder. It also means lesson time is upon us and we need to turn back to the basics. We have the joy of going back to work as snow sports instructors. Just like any other job, we too have learned some things over the seasons.

1. Patience is the ultimate virtue.

Want to know the true definition of patience? It's teaching a three-year-old to ski for the first time in -10 degrees after already having two lessons beforehand. You cannot be a snow sport instructor without having patience. You are just making yourself miserable if you stay impatient. This job requires you to be patient, and over time you realize that it starts to affect you outside the work world.

2. Parents will do anything for their kids.

Ski hills aren't around every corner and snow sports are not the cheapest. If their children really love it though, they are willing to give up a lot to see the smiles the kids have on their faces when they make it down the big hill for the first time. Sure, parents can worry, and may question your teaching skills, but it's only offensive if you don't see it from their perspective of things. They want their children happy and safe, and if we were in their shoes we would want the same.

3. Kids are tougher than you think.

There really doesn't have to be an explanation for this one. Learning a new sport does not come naturally for everyone and it can be beyond frustrating. Some kids, though, just refuse to give up. It does not matter what the temperature is, or how they just cannot seem to get that one thing right, they are willing to get up and try again no matter how many times they might fall.

4. Work and play can go hand in hand.

It is possible to have work be play. If you love your job enough, every day can be play. You can have four school groups back to back or a three-hour beginner lesson, but at the end of the day when you get in your car and smile because you are proud of what you did that day, well then it wasn't work at all.

5. Appreciate your coworkers.

It may seem silly, but having a seasonal job shows you how to enjoy those lovely people you see every day. This is because no matter how many people may bother you, there will always be at least one you befriend. Once the winter ends, and the snow melts away, you don't get to see them like you once did. Do your best to enjoy your coworkers; they are the family you half chose.

Winter is here, which means it is time to get back to the best job out there.