Top 5 Best Things About Homecoming

Top 5 Best Things About Homecoming

Enjoy it while you can, kiddos!

939
Top 5 Best Things About Homecoming

With it being homecoming season, I have been feeling nostalgic and reminiscing on my senior year homecoming experience. A week long memory that always brings a smile to my face. You see I was on homecoming court, so much of that week senior year was spent getting ready for the parade, the big game, and of course the dance. So, for those of you experiencing homecoming for the first time this year or this being your last high school homecoming, here is a list of the top five best things about HOMECOMING!

5. Dress Shopping

So, obviously this one is for the girls, but dress shopping was always a fun experience for me. My friends and I would pick a day we were all off and go to the mall and look for the perfect dress. I hate shopping, but there was always something about trying on tons of dresses (even the ones that look ridiculous but you need a laugh) to find one that was just right and fits amazingly.

4. Parade

Homecoming parades are super fun for the whole community. The kids get candy and get to see the cool floats, parents get to see their children in the parade, and the high schoolers get to be in the parade. No matter if you were riding on your class float or on one of the sport teams floats, everyone got a chance to ride in the parade. Not to mention the court each had their own car to throw candy. The best part of the parade was voting for the best class float.

3. Pep Rally

This was definitely one of my favorites because I was on the dance team and performing was always so much fun with my team. The homecoming pep rally always had a full house in our gym, which always made me more pumped to dance. Pep rallies were also fun just to show off school spirit, and it was always great to have the whole community there to help cheer with us.

2. The Game

Obviously the homecoming game is why this tradition continues on. Sitting in the stands or playing on the field, the game is probably the most important aspect of homecoming. The halftime show, however, was pretty great especially senior year (I was picked to be first maid).

1. Dance

The dance is basically where you get all dolled up, take a whole bunch of pictures (aka memories), and dance until your feet a black because let's be honest, no one is where those heels their mom paid 50 dollars for while dancing and that gym auditorium floor is disgusting. But it is absolutely fun, and you can always wash your feet when you are back at home. So, I'm going to include the after party in this because we all have some fond memories from our experiences there. Although, don't feel bad if you can't go; I only went my senior year, but I still had a blast.

Homecoming is a great experience that I think everyone should take part in. It is one of those things that if you don't go, you will probably regret it or wonder what if. Also, if you are a girl and you are debating on signing up to be on court, just do it. My friend who was queen my senior year wasn't even going to sign up! Thankfully me and the second maid convinced her to do it. But also know that if you don't make court that it is not that big a deal. Sure it is a fun experience, but it lasts a week then it's over. There is plenty to do that week to where you can still be involved cheering your team onto victory, and that's what it's all about.

This week is my old high school's homecoming, and I wish all the girls on court the best of luck. And to all the high school seniors, enjoy these last few months in high school. Go to the games, attend the dances, hang out with your friends, and enjoy just being a kid for a little bit longer. Because while college is super fun, you will never get those high school days back. So, here's to football and dancing ; y'all have fun.

Oh and GEAUX LOREAUVILLE TIGERS!