Top 5 Safety Practices to Follow at Construction Sites
Politics

35

Construction sites are generally quite hazardous for the environment, people living nearby, and people working at the site.

Several companies such as https://www.rstsolutions.com.au/ offer professional help to reduce the impact construction activities have on the environment and surroundings.

However, when it comes to the safety of the workers at the construction site, it is mostly the responsibility of the authority undertaking the construction.

If you wish to know more about construction safety, then in this article, we will be listing down the top 5 safety practices that can ensure the safety of construction workers at the site.

Install Proper Fall Protection Systems

Fall accidents are among the prime reasons for deaths at construction sites. Therefore, installing proper fall protection systems are entirely necessary to ensure the safety of workers.

Individual fall arrest systems, safety nets, and guardrails are some of the most commonly used fall protection systems and should be used by workers who work above six or seven feet off the ground.

Along with installing appropriate fall protection systems, it is also essential to educate workers about the potential fall-related hazards that are present at the construction site and also about the adequate fall-safety measures to be taken each time.

Wear Adequate Personal Protective Equipments

Personal Protective Equipment or PPE refers to the gear and clothing that needs to be worn by workers to ensure safety while working at a construction site.

Helmets, breathing masks, goggles, gloves, boots, etc., are essential pieces of protective gear for construction workers and should be made available to everyone.

Moreover, depending on the work, workers should also be provided with additional clothing or equipment to reduce the involved danger and help them complete the task effectively.

Workers should be advised to pick the gear that perfectly fits their size and not remove the equipment on-site to prevent any accidents even after providing adequate protection.

Have a Communication Setup

Accidents at construction sites are common when there is no proper communication between the workers and some unexpected events happen.

Construction workers are quite busy while at work that they tend not to give enough attention to what's going around them.

Therefore, it is essential that a dedicated communication setup is installed for workers with headsets, walkie-talkies, etc. so that workers can inform each other about any dangerous or important activities that are going around, thus avoiding workers from having to face any hazards that they aren't ready.

Avoid Improper Use of Ladders

Ladders are used in every construction process, and it also constitutes the most to accidents and injuries on-site.

The most common reasons for ladder-related accidents are not using ladders of proper length, not installing and securing the ladder correctly, and storing multiple heavy objects on the ladder steps.

When installing a ladder, make sure that there are at least three points of proper contact with the floor and secure the different lock-points of the ladder properly.

Always use ladders of proper length when trying to reach higher places and never carry or store heavy tools or other objects on the ladder steps.