Top 5 Reasons to Watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

Floats, Turkeys, and more.

89

The aroma of turkey fills the kitchen, your father rests in his recliner, and you feverishly flip through the department store ads, mapping out your course of action for the Black Friday Madness. Yep, Turkey Day is just around the corner. Of course, no Thanksgiving would be complete without the cornerstone program that Americans have tuned into for nearly 90 years: The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. While it's clear why so many people watch the parade (or go to it, if they're lucky enough to be in New York City), there are five main reasons to watch the annual spectacle (especially on NBC).

1. The Floats

A grand parade would be nothing more than a mundane march without floats. None are more memorable than Macy's. It's the nostalgic part of the parade that reverts me back to my five-year-old self. "Mommy, Snoopy's on the TV!" exclaims your nineteen-year-old writer. Yes, while Snoopy is a fan-favorite, he won't be taking to the skies this year. Fortunately, his down-on-his-luck owner, Chuck, will be there to represent the beloved Peanuts gang. The colossal balloons require lots of volunteers, rubber, and helium to keep them afloat. The result proves to be more spectacular year-after-year, with new additions and classics alike strutting down 34th St.

2.The Broadway Performances

Of course, nothing screams "New York" more than Broadway musicals. The live performances kick off the parade and get the viewers hyped for the action to come. They typically exhibit the catchiest numbers of their respective musicals. The cast of last year's production of Kinky Boots (pictured above) proved to give a stunning performance that wowed viewers everywhere. This year's line-up looks to be star-studded with performances from the casts of Cats, Holiday Inn (the new Irving Berlin musical), Paramour, and Waitress.

3. The Marching Bands

After the excitement of the Broadway performances comes the immensely talented musicians from the best high school and college marching bands in the nation. There is no denying the hours upon hours of practice and dedication that goes into crafting their near-perfect formations and hitting every note just right. It's even more amazing seeing schools from your hometown marching on TV.

4. The Commentators

If you watch the parade coverage on NBC (which is the true home of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade), you know it wouldn't be the same without commentary from the Today show anchors. News vets Al Roker and Matt Lauer have covered the event for numerous years (Roker is set for his 21st year, while Lauer prepares for his 18th year). Savannah Guthrie will be joining the crew for her fourth year. All three anchors concoct some sort of shenanigans on the set and provide some intriguing background info for the floats, Broadway performances, and marching bands. Besides, Al Roker's charisma alone is enough to keep you tuned in for the entirety of the broadcast's three hour run.

5. Santa Claus

Of course, no parade on Thanksgiving day would be complete without...well...a reminder that Christmas is literally breathing down your neck? With all of the cynicism about commercialism aside, the Claus always draws an uproar of cheer and applause. The jolly fellow in red has consistently attended every Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade since its inauguration in 1924. He signifies the start of the Christmas season and all the joy that it entails. From the moment Santa graces 34th St. on his reindeer powered float, the agonizing anticipation begins for tiny tots all across the nation.

Honorable Mention - Tom Turkey

By no means can I write a list about a Thanksgiving parade without mentioning good ol' Tom Turkey. While Santa Claus signifies the beginning of the gift-giving season, Tom signifies the turkey feasting season. As a penniless, half-starved college student, I am much more excited for the latter.