Top 5 Holiday Do's and Don'ts

Top 5 Holiday Do's and Don'ts

A look on how to enjoy yourself during this festive time and what actions to avoid.

143
Top 5 Holiday Do's and Don'ts
Photo Mix

Once again, gentle readers, we go back into the brink! It's me, your favorite blogger with another post for your viewing pleasure! It's the most wonderful time of the year...holiday season! I missed blogging about Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and Cyber Monday because there's nothing else that needs to be said about turkeys or American consumerism that hasn't already been said. It's a thing. It happened. Let's move on. We've still got many, many holidays and celebrations all crammed into one 31 days month, so let's talk about some of the things that we should and should not do as we are merry and celebrate.

This week, we're going to talk about five things you should absolutely do for your holiday season and five things you should avoid as much as possible. Let's begin on a good foot, with the holiday do's.

Do's:

1.Go to as many parties as you can stand.

This holiday season and people are going to be partying like it's 1999. Go to all of them and have fun. Be sure to bring a gift for the host though! No one likes an ungracious party-goer. After all, you aren't actually paying for any of the food spread that's sure to be there. Dust off that ugly sweater and go to town!

2. Reconnect with your family and/or friends.

Holiday time is the best time to spend with your friends and family. Plus, it's winter time, and not too many people go out to do things. This connects greatly with the previous do. Everyone's going to be home, and they're going to want company. That's when you come in. Brave the elements, whatever they may be, and go and get your eggnog on with folks that you care about.

3. Buy your co-workers a holiday present.

Now, there are several rules that can be applied to this do. You could buy presents only for the ones you like, you could buy for all of them, or you could have a secret Santa raffle. I've seen where really big companies do present giving by either teams or departments only. Whatever floats your boat works here. Don't break the bank though. Set a limit for each gift and stick to it.

4. Go on a Holiday Lights tour or any event that's decked out for the holidays.

For those who don't know what this is, allow me to explain. Some cities, around this time, have a Holiday Lights tour where you can pay a minimal amount and go see the best-decorated houses in your city. Granted, these are bound to be Christmas-themed decorations and lights, but that doesn't matter. Go and enjoy the spectacle, since this only happens once a year.

5. Give back.

Be thankful for everything you have. The holidays are a good season to be introspective on the things you have in your life and what others lack. This is a busy time for all, but if you can manage to find the time, donate some of it to a local, worthy cause that's trying to help less fortunate people have a good holiday season. It's food for your soul. Go and feast.

Now it's time for the five holiday don'ts. Please don't do these things. It has a tendency of not ending well.

Don'ts:

1.Do not, and I repeat, do not get into a relationship over the holidays!

Here's why: these relationships never last past Valentine's Day. People are out there, all lonely, wanting someone to cuddle up next to keep the cold away. This is a temporary state. Don't fall for it! If you do meet someone over the holidays, don't become exclusive until Valentine's Day or after. Why? If they're serious about you, they'll wait it out. Emotions run really high around the holiday season. Don't get swept up in it.

2. When visiting family, don't force your children to hug people they don't want to.

Obviously, this only applies if you have children, but it's still important. I fully believe in body autonomy. A child has every right to say that they don't want to hug or be near someone, and you have to respect that. You get nothing from forcing your child to associate with your creepy uncle, so do us all a favor and don't do it. Think long term here. You'll save a fortune in therapy bills.

3.Don't overindulge in alcohol.

Now, I know that I said that in the first holiday do to go to as many parties as you could. I still want you to do that. What I don't want you to do is make a fool of yourself and embarrass your host by becoming an unruly drunk. It's a quick way of making sure that you aren't invited to anything ever again. Who wants the reputation of being the friend that can't hold their liquor? You don't, so you'll control yourself, won't you?

4. Don't send yourself into massive debt for material goods.

Again, I did say to buy your co-workers a gift but advised you not to go crazy. This goes for your family as well. I know you want your children and significant others to have the best holidays that they can, but that doesn't mean that you should take on a ridiculous amount of debt to make it happen. Do you really need to buy all the stuff that others say that they want? No, you don't. Pick one gift per person. Instead of buying a gift, make one. Yes, I know, I know, we're all short on time, but there's no reason to be short on time and money. If you can't pay for all the stuff that you've purchased until next year, perhaps you should rethink your holiday strategy.

5. For all that is good and holy, please, PLEASE don't ruin everyone else's holiday spirit and cheer.

Look, if you want to be a Grinch, that's fine. Be a Grinch. Just be a silent Grinch. No one wants to hear your negative thoughts on the holiday season, especially while we're in the holiday season. Don't let your bitterness bleed onto innocent people. If you hate the holiday season so much, don't participate. Go on vacation for the entire month of December. Otherwise, you'll just be seen as a party-pooper.

And that's it, my gentle readers. That's my list of holiday do's and don'ts. I hope you enjoy and apply some of these to your own life. If you've got another do or don't that I've forgotten, don't hesitate to let me know in the comments!