My Top 5 Favorite Recently Purchased Books

Looking for something new to read? Here's a few suggestions!
1

It's 2017, and I've already bought more books than I can keep up with; it's a bit of a problem. I already have a list of new books that I've extremely excited to read. I picked five to share in this article, although I assure you, I've bought more than that.

1. "Everfair" by Nisi Shawl

Before I caved and bought "Everfair" at the recent writer's conference, AWP, I saw the cover in one of the bookstores near me. I'm usually more of a YA Lit person, but the premise of the novel intrigued me. The general plot explores the question of what might have happened during the colonization of the Congo by Belguim if the natives had adopted steam technology. It's classified as a Neo-Victorian alternate-historical novel; a genre I can't say I've read before.

2. "We Are Okay" by Nina LaCour

I remember seeing the cover for "We Are Okay"online before it was released, so when I saw it out on display, I had to buy it. The story is about reconnecting with someone you love and dealing with grief. It follows the story of Marin after she left her old life behind, but is about to confront it. I don't quite know what to expect out of this novel, but I'm excited to give it a shot.

3. "Timekeeper" by Tara Sim

This book has probably already made it onto one of my lists, but I'm still super excited to read it. "Timekeeper" is set in an alternate Victorian universe where the worlds are controlled by clocks; in this novel, clocks are actually in control of time. It's supposed to be the first book in a trilogy, which means there's only more to look forward to with this book.

4. "Descender" by Jeff Lemire and Dustin Nguyen

This graphic novel is one of the first graphic novels I ever decided to purchase. I was attracted by the simplistic and beautiful cover design. I also appreciated that it was the first volume of the series. "Descender "follows a young android named TIM-21 who wakes up and learns that all robots have been outlawed. TIM quickly becomes the most wanted robot in the universe. I'm looking forward to reading a story with the potential of such breathtaking visuals.

5. "Caraval" by Stephanie Garber

This book came in this month's OwlCrate (a YA book box subscription), which I couldn't be more happy about. I'd been eyeing "Caraval" for a while! The story follows a pair of sisters, Scarlett and Tella. Scarlett dreams of seeing the once-a-year performance by the name of Caraval, but when she gets the chance, it's more risky than she expected. Tella gets kidnapped by Caraval's organizer, and the Caraval revolves around a game of who can find her first. As if the idea of a circus performance wasn't enough to draw me in, I'm even more excited by how high the stakes are.