Top 5 Fastest Trains in the World
Food Drink

Top 5 Fastest Trains in the World

Train travel has improved tremendously over the past 50 years; Asian and European countries have undoubtedly the best train networks in the world.

40
Top 5 Fastest Trains in the World

Countries like China, Japan, Spain, and Italy are leading the charge when it comes to the Research and Development of rail technologies. It is no surprise that some of the fastest and most breathtaking trains are located in a handful of countries.

Australia has a solid rail network, but our network does not come close to that of our European and Asian counterparts. Today, we will look into a few of the fastest trains from around the world and how they compare to those in our country.

Shanghai Maglev

The world's fastest train commenced commercial operations in April 2004; it is not the most luxurious, newest or even the most expensive to travel in, Shanghai's Maglev trains operate on the 30.5km long Shanghai Maglev Line.

This line is the premier commercially operated high-speed magnetic levitation line. It extends from Shanghai Pudong International Airport and ends at Metro Line 2's Longyang Road Station.

Shanghai Maglev has an average speed of 251km/h and a maximum speed of 430km/h. It is operated and owned by the Shanghai Maglev Transportation Development Company.

Fuxing Hao

China is home to the fastest non-maglev train in the world. Fuxing Hao means rejuvenation in English and features two trains, the CR400AF or Dolphin Blue and the CR400BF or Golden Phoenix.

Both trains are capable of transporting 556 passengers each between Shanghai Hongquin Station and Beijing South Station in less than five hours.

Fuxing Hao has an average speed of 350km/h, making them the fastest long-distance commercial high-speed trains currently in operation.

Harmony CRH 380A

This is the second-fastest non-maglev train in the world; this train has a maximum operational speed of 380km/h making it one of the fastest trains in the world.

During its trial operation in December 2010 on the Shanghai-Hangzhou intercity high-speed railway, the Electric Multiple Unit (EMU) impressed with speeds reaching 486.1km/h. The CRH 380A began operating from Beijing to Shanghai shortly after it entered into operation in October 2010.

The speeds being recorded by a lot of the fastest trains in the world is a far cry from what is applicable in Australia. Currently the fastest train out of Sydney, the XPT, has a top speed of 160km (100mph), these slower speeds are as a result of the difficult access solutions required to maintain the railway lines safety.

Shinkansen E5

Currently the fastest Japanese train in service, the E5 series Shinkansen Hayabusa commenced operations on the 5th of March 2011; the East Japan Railway Company is currently operating it.

This train operates on the Tokyo to Aomori route with maximum operation speeds reaching 320km/h reducing the journey to just 2 hours and 56 minutes. The front car of the train features a 15-meter long nose, and its design helps minimize vibration and sound while going through tunnels.

Shinkansen E5 has ten car sets in a three-class configuration capable of seating up to 731 passengers.

AGV Italo and Frecciarossa

Currently the fastest train in Europe, AGV Italo is the first train in the AGV series. It began operation in April 2007 and operates between the Italian cities of Rome, Naples, Firenze, Bologna, and Milano.

This train is the most eco-friendly on our list; it's reported that almost 100% of the parts used in its construction are recyclable.

The Frecciarossa nicknamed the red arrow was unveiled in 2015 during an Expo held in Milan. Passengers can travel from Milan to Rome or Florence within three hours.