7 Powerful Bible Verses Used In Popular Films

"That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown."

15035
Wikia

In the movie industry, there are many films that use Bible verses in their scripts in order to create powerful moments, or just to relay a message. These movies can range from exciting actions films to classic children's movies.

Here are the Top 5 Bible verses used in 5 different popular films:

5. The Shawshank Redemption

Andy, after having his cell searched, strikes up a conversation with the corrupt warden. The warden is a believer and they discuss their favorite verses. Andy's favorite passage is Mark 13:35-37:

"Therefore keep watch because you do not know when the owner of the house will come back-whether in the evening, or at midnight, or when the rooster crows, or at dawn. 36If he comes suddenly, do not let him find you sleeping. 37What I say to you, I say to everyone: 'Watch!'"

The warden then says his, which is John 8:12:

"When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

4. Fury

Fury follows a 5 man tank crew during the second world war. In this scene, Boyd "Bible" Swan cites Isaiah 6:8:

"Then I heard the voice of the LORD saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

3. Saving Private Ryan

Besides being arguably the greatest war film of all time, Saving Private Ryan is packed full of great bible verses. In the last battle of the film, Jackson is sniping in a bell tower. As he starts to shoot, he cites Psalms 144:1-2:

"Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. 2He is my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield, in whom I take refuge, who subdues peoples under me."

2. Pulp Fiction.

This one needs no explanation. As Samuel L. Jackson's character is about to gun down his boss' wrongdoer, he cites Ezekiel 25:17:

"I will carry out great vengeance on them and punish them in my wrath. Then they will know that I am the LORD when I take vengeance on them.'"

Now, this isn't what is exactly said, however, the actual quote reads:

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy My brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay My vengeance upon you. "

It's still just as badass.

1. Charlie Brown Christmas.

Anyone that has seen movies or celebrates Christmas has probably seen this before. In the scene, Charlie Brown is struggling to find out what Christmas is all about. From aluminum trees to bad actors, it makes him ask the question, "Isn't there anyone who could tell me what Christmas is all about?" His best friend Linus and his "trusty protective blanket" then take to the stage and ask to dim the lights. He then recites Luke 2:8-14:

"And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. 9An angel of the LORD appeared to them, and the glory of the LORD shone around them, and they were terrified. 10But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. 11Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the LORD. 12This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger." 13Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, 14"Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests."

These 7 Bible verses created powerful moments in these popular, classic films.

Can you think of any others?