Top 4 Things to Do In Edinburgh

Top 4 Things to Do In Edinburgh

Scotland boasts a stunningly natural and historical elegance, from the vast open spaces of the Highlands to its alluring cities.

34

The two biggest cities in Scotland are only an hour apart, Glasgow is an up and coming city with a unique gritty charm and Edinburgh remains to be a regal city with steeped with a fascinating history.

Glasgow has recently seen a rise in visitors due to its raw beauty from its Victorian architecture and passionate locals eager to showcase their wonderful city. While exploring Glasgow is a must while visiting Scotland, a visit in the country is not complete without discovering Edinburgh. Traveling east on the M8 from Glasgow by car, Edinburgh is a vibrant city that is brimming with life and oozes rustic charm.

Below is a list of the top 4 things to do while visiting the city of Edinburgh.

Explore Edinburgh Castle

Listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Edinburgh Castle is a magnificent structure overlooking the city. Perhaps the most popular attraction in the city, the Edinburgh Castle dominates the cityscape and holds significant value in Scottish history. Built in the 11th century, it stands today as a major tourist spot not just in Scotland, but the whole of the United Kingdom. Walk through its narrow cobbled streets and ramparts within the city walls as you enter the castle seeing important Scottish items such as the clothes of royals and weapons used during the war with England. Scale the castle's towers and terraces to see a gorgeous sweeping view of the whole city.

Explore the Old Town

Edinburgh's old town is a great place to explore after visiting Edinburgh Castle. Walk down the Royal Mile through the medieval city that is still teeming with life and establishments. It is filled with small boutique shops selling local trinkets and whiskey, to lively pubs serving up traditional fare. The street is also filled with street performers and vendors making it one of the most bustling streets in the city. At the end of the Royal Mile is the ornate Holyrood Palace where it is the official Royal residence upon visiting Scotland.

Hike Up Arthur's Seat

While Edinburgh is filled with elegant beige colored buildings, the city is also blessed with large green spaces for people to take a walk and enjoy the greenery. After enjoying the drive through Scotland's beautiful countryside, you'll want to stretch your legs, and a hike up Arthur's Seat is the perfect way to do just that.

Just across Holyrood Palace is an extinct volcano where you can climb up to see great views of the city and the rolling green fields in the horizon. The volcano named Arthur's Seat, supposedly derived from the legendary story of King Arthur, towers up to the city with Edinburgh Castle.

Admire The Architecture At St. Giles Cathedral

From its distinctly shaped steeple to its intricate interior design, visiting this church is a must even if you are not religious. The cathedral has been around since the 14th century and has remained to continue its church services while showing off its beautiful architecture. The artistry can be seen on its stained glass window and its baroque ceiling.