Top 3 Classic Novels to Curl Up With this Fall

The best reads for when the weather gets cold.

19
goodreads

As the weather grows colder the desire to stay indoors grows stronger and stronger with each falling leaf. A netflix binge is ideal but those lovers of literature, there is an alternative. Anyone who knows me well knows that one of my great loves are the great reads of the past. Whenever the temperature drops I dip into my collection and pull out one of my all time favorites. This list features my personal favorite classic novels from all over history. Reading is something that has been close to my heart since I was little and I hope anyone reading this will take it to heart, put down the remote, and pick up one of these timeless stories.

1. Anne of Green Gables (1908

This was one of my favorite books as a kid. This Classic Canadian series has inspired more than a few tv, movie, and web adaptions. It's the story about a young orphaned girl who, after a mixup at the adoption agency, is sent to live with two aging siblings on their farm Green Gables. Anne is an firey, imaginative, and often explosive girl who causes initial turbulence in Marilla and Matthews' sensible and uneventful household. Soon they learn to love her as their own child. The series follows Anne, her adventures, friends, and loves as she matures from a wild young girl into a passionate, strong woman. It's one of my all time favorite series, and just like my mother read it to me, I plan on sharing it with my children.

2. Anna Karenina (1877)

This classic novel was written by renowned Russian author Leo Tolstoy - also the man who penned War and Peace. Anna Karenina is the classic beautiful tragedy. It's the story of a Russian socialite who's husband is a powerful figure in Russian politics. Anna, who married her husband for stability and status rather than wealth strays from her marriage after she falls for Count Vronsky - a rich, handsome cavalry officer, who she begins having an affair with. Not long after Anna learns she's carrying Vronsky's child, her husband discovers the affair. He offers her a choice, give up her lover or give up the son she shares with her husband. Anna tries to let Vronsky go, but is unable to let him go. They run away together and Anna is branded a fallen woman. This is a story about love, scandal, and reputation. It also speaks volumes to the state of Russian society in this time. It's a long read, but is beautifully written. Anna Karenina, is a timeless tragedy, and one that I plan to keep on my shelf for years to come.

3. Pride and Prejudice (1813)

Perhaps one of the most iconic books in history, Pride and Prejudice is the only rational choice to end this list. Written in 1813, by Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice is set in the English countryside. It's a time when a woman's only job was to marry young and marry well. Our heroine Elizabeth Bennet, couldn't be any less ok with that. Headstrong and determined to marry for love (despite her family's insistence) Elizabeth marches to her own beat. The arrival of the well-off Mr. Bingley and his sisters soon shakes up their small town. As Elizabeth's older sister Jane begins to fall for Mr. Bingley and he for her, Elizabeth finds herself constantly vexed by his wealthy, yet standoffish friend Mr. Darcy. The more Darcy falls for Elizabeth, the less-inclined Elizabeth becomes towards him. This results in more than a few explosive confrontations. Pride and Prejudice is arguably one of the most iconic love stories to be put to paper it's also my all time favorite book. My mom is a huge Jane Austen fan and read this to me when I was a kid. It was something we share and something I encourage everyone to pick up.