Top 12 Places To Eat In Austin, Texas

Top 12 Places To Eat In Austin, Texas

From food trucks to fancy restaurants, Austin has them all.

91
Top 12 Places To Eat In Austin, Texas

Did you know that according to a survey from bizjournal.com 19.8 million people visited Austin, Texas this past year? While Austin is a great place to visit for some, for the past 10 years of my life, I've called this "weird" city my home. I've enjoyed growing up in a city that's known for its music, parties, and just the down right weird people who walk the streets. One thing about Austin that is extremely overlooked, is the food. From food trucks to fancy sit down restaurants, Austin is filled with delicious, unique places to eat. That's why I'm telling you 12 of the absolute best places to eat in the ATX as told by a true austinite.

1. Franklin Barbecue

Since Austin is in Texas it shouldn't surprise you that my first restaurant to talk about is a fabulous Barbecue joint. Franklin Barbecue started out as a food trailer on interstate 35 in 2009. In just four short years it has grown to be one of the most popular restaurants in Texas. Get there early because even at 8:00 am there's a line down the street waiting to go in. Yep, I said it. Franklin BBQ is one of the only restaurants to have a consistent 2 hour wait to get in all day long, 6 days a week. My favorite thing on the menu is the brisket but they have much more than that. From sausage to pork ribs to chops they really are the whole package when it comes to barbecue.

2. Phil's Ice house

Everyone loves a good burger but Phil's goes above and beyond. Burgers, shakes, ice cream, playscape, beer... nothing can beat it. This particular Phil's is paired with Amy's ice cream. Phil and Amy together just cannot be beat! This is a great place for the whole family. There is a huge playscape outside, which makes for the perfect hangout. If you're looking for a burger and a good time head out to Phil's Ice house.

3. Torchy's Tacos

If you're looking for the perfect street taco then Torchy's is the place to go to. Torchy's started in 2006 with a man who owned this taco truck and a red Vespa scooter. When he first opened up there was not a soul in sight so he started giving away free salsa so that people would come taste his tacos. Soon Torchy's was the talk of the city. People kept saying "these are some damn good tacos." So that quickly became the trucks slogan. Torchy's now has over 30 stores. Its so good that even President Obama had to stop by and get his fix.

My favorite tacos are the fried avocado and the ace of spades. Be sure to look up their secret menu because that's where they keep the good stuff. Torchy's really does have some damn good tacos.

4. Vince Young Steakhouse

If you are a meat eater like I am, then the Vince Young Steakhouse is for you. Vince Young was the quarterback for the University Of Texas and played in the NFL for 6 years.. Seriously, the steaks here are to die for. Even the table bread is delicious. Vince Young might even be there if you're lucky. He is often spotted at the bar taking pictures with fans. Steak and a chance to meet a football star? Count me in.

5. Trudy's

If you're looking for a killer margarita and some good Tex Mex, then Trudy's is the place to go. Trudy's has been an Austin favorite since 1977. From breakfast on the patio to drinking margaritas with your besties while your husbands are drinking beer and watching the game, Trudy's satisfies everyone's needs; even the average Joe like me who just really likes good queso and enchiladas.

6. Joe's crab shack

I know that Joe's is a chain restaurant but its absolutely my favorite seafood place in Austin. I went there this last year for my birthday and they went out of there way to make me feel special. If you have children who like seafood, take them here. Its such a kid friendly place. My little sister gets a kick out of the fact that they have grown up bibs to wear so you don't get crab juice all over you.The indoor decor is worth the trip alone. My favorite thing to eat there is the garlic herb lobster daddy feast. Even if you have that one person in your family who doesn't like seafood, go anyways. They have a whole other section on the menu for "out of the water" selections. When it comes to crab, Joe really knows what he's doing.

7. Dan's Burgers

Looking for a good old fashioned burger joint? Dan's is the place for you. They have burgers, breakfast, sandwiches, fries, onion rings, and my favorite part: milkshakes and malts. I really like the chicken fried steak sandwich and the chocolate malt but what ever you get you wont be disappointed. Austinites truly love this place because of the old dinner feel. The original Dan's was opened in January of 1973. Now Dan's is one of the most popular burger joints in the area.

8. Gourdough's

Gourdough's is a place that takes the Average doughnut and turns it into anything but average. From the "Mother Clucker" to the "Flying Pig" Gourdough's has some outrageous flavors. My favorite is the "Black Out" doughnut which has brownie batter, fudge icing and chocolate covered brownie bites. If you're not much of the food trailer/truck type, never fear. Gourdough's has both a trailer and a sit down establishment. And who said doughnuts were just for breakfast? Not at Gourdough's. You can have doughnuts anytime of the day as far as they're concerned.

9. Homeslice Pizza

Not in the mood for something sweet? Right down the way from Gourdough's is by far my favorite pizza place in Austin. Homeslice is located on Congress Ave which is one of my favorite streets in the city. Its filled with unique little shops and some big name stores as well. If you're anything like me, by the time you go through the second store you're tired and hungry. That's what makes Homeslice so great. They have a window that you can order by slice. The slices are HUGE and so delicious. They have a sit down restaurant there as well. It's so affordable which makes it the perfect lunch/dinner destination. Grab a slice, take a load off, and enjoy.

10. Stubb's BBQ

Everyone likes good barbecue, cold beer, and great music. Stubb's has all of the above. With amazing Barbecue and musicians like Parker Mccollum, Tyler the creator, and The neighborhood, it can't be beat. How great is this place? A place that Embraces rap, Texas country, and alternative all while eating great BBQ really is a one of a kind restaurant in the city. If you're in the Austin area, do not miss out.

11. HEY YOU GONNA EAT OR WHAT?

When it comes to food trucks in Austin, everyone knows Hey You Gonna Eat or What is one of the best. My favorite thing is the Monte Cristo but all the sandwiches are delicious. It may look a tad sketchy on the outside but the quality of the food is top notch. It's definitely my favorite food truck in Austin.

12. Chuy's

Last but not least is my absolute favorite restaurant in Austin, Texas: Chuy's. I know that Chuy's has spread out all over Texas as one of the most popular Tex Mex places, but nothing is like eating at the original in Austin. My favorite thing to eat there is obviously the creamy jalapeno dip but entree wise I'd have to go with the steak burrito drowned in queso. They also have a location on the lake called Hula Hut.

This has been my families go to birthday dinner spot since we moved to Austin. If you're in the area and craving Tex Mex I would 100% recommend Chuy's, the original restaurant or Hula Hut on the lake.