Top 10 Things To Come Out Of The Star Wars Prequels

The prequels, as generally hated as they are, gave us some worthy moments.

110
The Wrathful Dove

On May 4th (yes, Star Wars day) I re-watched every film that I've seen countless times before, even the "infamous" prequels. While the original trilogy is highly beloved by many, the feelings for the prequels are the polar opposite. Even though I do agree that "Episode I: The Phantom Menace," isn't the most enjoyable viewing experience, I don't find the hate for the entire trilogy to be fair. After all, I place "Episode III: Revenge of the Sith" well above "Episode VI: Return of the Jedi" in terms of quality and impact on the Star Wars Universe. Regardless of the reception of the prequels, ten things in particular deserve to be appreciated. These highlights come from the films themselves and other media that they inspired.

1. The Pod-Racing Scene

"Episode I: The Phantom Menace" didn't give fans too many thrilling moments. However, it did give us a pretty cool-looking racing scene that showcased the CGI that George Lucas was dying to use since conceptualizing the prequels. The scene also inspired one of the best racing games for the Nintendo 64, "Star Wars Episode I: Racer."

2. Darth Maul

The Star Wars universe has many memorable villains, but few are as mysterious and skilled as Darth Maul. Also, there is no denying how wicked that double lightsaber is. Phantom Menace could've been a MUCH better film if it focused more on this spiteful sith master. As intense as the final fight scene was with Maul taking on the team of Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan, it wasn't nearly enough to save Menace from mediocrity.

3. "The Saga Begins" - Weird Al

Weird Al displays his Yoda-like wisdom with this parody of Don McClean's "American Pie." The song practically gives the entire plot of "Phantom Menace" and includes Al's signature humor and superior musicianship. You start to wonder if Episode I would've been better as a Weird Al musical.

4. Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi

Sir Alec Guinness may have been nominated for an Oscar for bringing the character of Obi-Wan Kenobi to life (the only actor to be nominated for a Star Wars film), but no other actor has brought so much charisma to the Jedi mentor on-screen than Ewan McGregor. He even had to be reminded numerous times by George Lucas that his ad-libbed lightsaber sounds weren't necessary because they would be added in post. McGregor responded that he got "carried away." Let's hope that the rumors of the Kenobi spin-off film starring McGregor becomes a reality.

5. Jango Fett

One of the greatest injustices of the original trilogy was the lack of screen time that Boba Fett got. After all, he's a bounty hunter with a jet pack! How does he get less screen-time than some miniature teddy bear/gremlin-like things? Fortunately, "Episode II: Attack of the Clones" made Boba's predecessor, Jango Fett, a key element in the film (and gave us a pretty solid fight against Obi-Wan).

6. We Got to See Yoda Fight

Master Yoda was a crucial part of the original trilogy. He led Luke through the training he needed to find himself and face Vader. Of course, it led fans to wonder how he was in his prime. Episode II gave us our first taste of Yoda action with his fight against Count Dooku.

7. Christopher Lee as Count Dooku

Sir Christopher Lee, the legendary screen actor to portray another famous Count decades prior (the very Count Dracula), was larger than life as the sinister Count Dooku in Episodes II and III.

8. The Rise of Vader and the Empire

While the most important developments didn't really come until Episode III, it was pretty awesome to see it all play out. The clones turned on the Jedi, Emperor Palpatine fully embodied the persona of "Darth Sidious," and Anakin Skywalker metamorphosed into Darth Vader. As Darth Sidious would put it, "Good. Let the power of the prequels flow through you!"

9. Obi-Wan vs. Anakin

As awesome as it was to see Luke face off against Darth Vader in the original trilogy, the final fight between Obi-Wan and Anakin is by far the most incredible fight scene in Star Wars history. There's just so much at stake. The erupting environment augments the sense of danger, the mentor vs. padawon circumstance makes the end result even more tragic, and Obi-Wan's line, "It's Over Anakin! I have the high ground!" is up there with, "I am your father!" as the greatest line conceived from the Star Wars Universe. It's nothing short of beautiful.

10. The Animated Series

Three animated series have spawned from the timeline of the prequels and are all quite fantastic and special in their own rights. Genndy Taratovsky's "Clone Wars" holds a fond place in my heart. Similar to his masterpiece, "Samurai Jack," this Star Wars series exhibits an impressive 2-D art style with moments of visually-reliant storytelling void of dialogue.

The 2008 CGI "Clone Wars" series did a lot to fill in the gap between Episodes II and III, featured top-notch voice acting, and weaved well-written story lines.

Disney XD's "Star Wars Rebels" has also proven to be quite successful. It also delves into more untouched territory, like Darth Maul's story line.

While the prequels are not gold-encrusted, they do contain diamonds in the rough that deserve to be dusted off. Are there any other aspects of the prequels that you like? Let me know in the comments below.