Top 10 New York Hot Spots You Need To Visit

Going on vacation in New York? Here's a list of places you can't miss!

62

With summer approaching quickly, it is not unlikely that there will be plenty of people flocking all over the globe to experience new things, eat new foods, and see new sights. New York, at least for myself, is by far the most exciting place I want to visit that isn't in another country. I've complied a list of 10 places that can't be missed if you are travelling to the "Big Apple" this summer or for any future vacation.

1. Central Park

This one seems obvious to be the first place that must be visited. Central Park lies in the middle of Manhattan and is often filled with live performances, shows, and other attractions--especially at night. It's also a wonderful to place to take a walk, jog, or have a picnic. The Central Park Zoo is a common attraction for visitors in the summer as well.

2. The Met

The Metropolitan Museum of Art is one of the most popular destinations for tourists. With adult admission being only $25, it is a cheap way to get some great entertainment. Some of their current exhibitions include "Age of Empires," "The Mysterious Landscapes of Hercules Segers," and "Seurat's Circus Sideshow."

3. Chelsea Market

Chelsea Market...or food heaven? Basically, whatever food craving you have, Chelsea Market will have a shop to cater to your needs. But not just food is available here, there are also clothing stores and book stores. Plus, it has a really old market type feel on the inside--who doesn't love that? Open on weekdays from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., you can spend your entire day eating from different bakeries, reading books, and sprucing up your closet!

4. One World Observatory

Available for public viewing or private events, the One World Observatory is the perfect way to get the best view of the city. The Sky Pod Elevator is also an important part of the experience. During the ascension, visitors get to see a time-lapse video of how the city came to be. The See Forever Theater allows guests to see the beautiful skyline of the city and truly appreciate its beauty.

5. The High Line

The High Line is one of the best ways to spend a laid-back day in the sun. Built on an abandoned freight rail line, the High Line rests above Manhattan, giving everyone a wonderful view of the city. The last train to ride the High Line was in 1980. For 25 years, no trains ran through the rail line and plant life ended up sprouting up over the tracks. This overgrowth turned out to be the inspiration for the final High Line design concept. The High Line also features food and drink options such as "Melt Bakery," "People's Pops," and "L'Arte del Gelato."

6. Brooklyn Bridge

The Brooklyn Bridge is probably one of the most iconic sights. At 5,989 feet long and sitting over 270 feet above the water, this bridge has earned its reputation as both a beautiful and terrifying bridge. The bridge was first opened to the public on May 24, 1883, where thousands of people flocked to the only land passage between Brooklyn and Manhattan. A bit of a downside to the opening of the bridge was the rumor that it was going to collapse. This uproar caused a storm of people fleeing that killed over ten people. If you are looking to get the full experience from this bridge, make sure that you take the time to walk, jog, or bike across it and enjoy the spectacular view.

7. Levain Bakery

Located on the Upper West Side, Levain Bakery is known for its famous six-ounce chocolate chip cookie. Levain is the perfect little bakery for anyone looking for a freshly baked classic treat. Levain prides itself on being loyal to its customers and appreciates their regulars. While a popular place for tourists to visit, they also ship their cookies all over the world. If you're looking for your next favorite cookie, go to Levain!

8. Broadway

What is more iconic than the shining lights, the playbill, and everyone getting all dressed up to see their favorite play? I've been to my fair share of musicals like "Wicked," "Chicago," and "Phantom of the Opera," but never have I gotten a program that said the word "Playbill" on it. Seeing a show on Broadway is an experience that can't be missed, no matter how short a time you spend in New York. There are always amazing shows and undoubtedly something perfect for everyone.

9. Rockefeller Center

Located in Midtown, Manhattan, Rockefeller Center was declared a National Historical Landmark in 1987. The most famous event is the lighting of the Rockefeller Christmas Tree. If you visit during Christmas, the tree is definitely something you want to make time to see. There is also ice skating and musical performances. Radio City Music Hall is also an important place to visit...I mean, everyone knows the Rockettes, right?

10. Madison Square Garden

Any sports fans? Well, Madison Square Garden is the place for you. The Garden opened on February 11, 1968 and is located in Midtown, Manhattan. The Garden is not, however, only used for sports. Concerts, circuses, and ice shows are also performed here. If visiting New York, you are sure to be able to catch an event at The Garden; sporting events alone total to over 320 a year!