I've Done It, Here Are My Top 10 Favorite Films Ever

"I've abandoned my child!!!"

82
Lane Stanberry

1. Casablanca (1943)

Casablanca is a film I’ve mentioned quite frequently in my articles as one of my favorite films of all time. Well, it most certainly is my favorite. The acting, writing, set design, music, camerawork, costuming, and everything is just perfect. I’ll watch this film just to get myself out of a bad mood. I even made a poster of it in my film studies class that I’m quite proud of. 10/10.

2. Return of the Jedi (1983)

Now, I’d rather classify Return as my “tie-for-first” favorite film of all time, but if I absolutely had to choose one or the other I’d place it here. Still, I absolutely adore this film and have watched it countless times. One of my favorite scenes in cinema is seeing the epic duel between Vader and Luke for the last time, and Vader ultimately making the decision to join the light, ending The Emperor’s reign and fulfilling the prophecy of the chosen one. I love it. 10/10.

3. Psycho (1960)

Another film I watch to take me out of bad mood (I promise I’m not crazy.) I love the aesthetics of the film. Hitchcock made the tactful decision to make this movie in black and white rather than the popular color at the time, and I’m glad he did. Anthony Perkins is also excellent…and I really can’t put into more words why I like this movie so much. It has the “it” factor.

4. Rebel Without a Cause (1955)

One of the most angsty films I’ve ever seen, it definitely embodies the rebellious teenager. I first saw this movie in high school, which might the reason I connected so well with it that time. It’s definitely a good movie to just sit down with at night and watch. Check it out if you haven’t seen it. 9.3/10

5. La La Land (2016)

The first time I saw this film, it blew my socks off. I couldn’t believe the attention to detail in every shot, the beautiful costumes, set and production design, the amazing score, the excellent directing and much more. This is a film I literally could not find anything wrong with, and I’ve watched it countless times. It deserved Best Picture, in my opinion. 10/10.

6. Phantom Thread (2017)

The newest of all the films on this list comes from my favorite director, Paul Thomas Anderson. His complex character study of the manic Reynolds Woodcock and his love life is among the most interesting I’ve ever seen. This film takes a dramatic turn halfway through the film, and couples this with an intoxicating score, beautiful camerawork, superb costume design and just a great feel. 10/10.

7. Empire Strikes Back (1980)

In what many consider to be the best Star Wars film of all time, Empire sets that perfect middle ground in a trilogy, something many series struggle with. Everything is just so tense, but also comfortable; artistic, yet wonderfully balanced. Also, who could forget that twist ending? Love ESB, it’s my 2nd favorite Star Wars film. 9.7/10

8. Let The Right One In (2008)

A relatively smaller film, based on an excellent book, LTROI is a Swedish vampire flick that features the two best child acting performances I’ve ever seen. It’s a beautiful film about unconditional love and really deserves more attention. 10/10.

9. A New Hope (1977)

The perfect beginning to a new trilogy, we had the best ensemble of characters of all time (in my opinion) introduced to us, and it was an awesome ride. I wish I could be alive in 1977 to see this film unveiled in theaters. 9.6/10

10. There Will Be Blood (2007)

Another one of Paul Thomas Anderson’s brilliant character studies, oilman Daniel Plainview has a rather unique experience trying to extract the oil from a small town of interesting people. I’d consider this Daniel Day-Lewis’ best performance, and it includes one of my favorite and all-time best scenes in film history, the baptism scene. This is a must watch. 9.7/10