Immigration Crisis In America

The Nation Has Become A Shameful Experiment

As I read more and listened to news reports of the many facilities across the nation crowded with innocent immigrants hoping for a safe life, I recalled an experiment that took place at Stanford University in 1971.

52

Last year the country began to realize the cruelty the current administration has done to the immigrants crossing the board into the United States. I wrote an article on this subject last year. What is discouraging is many of the people that I wrote about are no longer with this administration. Sadly, the cries for any kind of solution is still falling on deaf ears. Politicians are outraged and they take it to the media pointing fingers at the other side and nothing changes.

In McAllen, Texas there is a border patrol warehouse with more than 1,000 children and was recently visited by a local pediatrician. A reporter from TheAtlantic.com interviewed Dolly Lucio Servier about her experience. Her first comments to the reporter were witnessing a baby being fed from an unwashed bottle. Many of the children showing signs of malnutrition and dehydration. But what worried her the most was the children that exhibited evidence of psychological trauma.

Servier was not allowed to enter the holding area but was given a printout of the detainees and highlighted the children starting with the babies and moving on to toddlers. At one point there was a shift change with the border patrol agents and the guard wearing a surgical mask claimed he couldn't find one of the three toddlers she requested to examine. Sevier insisted on waiting and the guard replied, "She's having a bath." Sevier continued to wait and informed the guard of her rights to see any child she requested. Eventually, the guard returned telling her, "We located the bodies," in a tone she said sounded like "paramilitary slang."

As I read more and listened to news reports of the many facilities across the nation crowded with innocent immigrants hoping for a safe life, I recalled an experiment that took place at Stanford University in 1971. This experiment was an attempt to investigate the psychological effects of perceived power, focusing on the difference between prisoners and prison guards. It was an experiment that used volunteer college students in a mock prison. The experiment lasted six days as several of the mock prisoners made claims of psychological torture and abuse. The prison guards eagerly took on the role of authoritarian and harassed the prisoners who tried to stop them.

Children are not being given tools for personal hygiene like toothbrushes, soap, and water while in these facilities. Hearing of patrol agents telling detainees to drink out of the toilet if they want water, children wearing makeshift diapers made from a bed pad for incontinent patients in a hospital and guards wearing surgical masks and gloves are only a few examples. But worse of all, there is no one there to console these traumatized children. In addition, these agents regard the Congressional entourage visiting the facility as intruders with an obvious lack of disrespect. The nation has begun its own Stanford Experiment.

The border patrol agents are not trained to handle the current situation. Many of the facilities were not built for holding people. They are warehouses that are designed for moving surplus. They don't have the supplies needed to care for the mass population entering each facility either. Even though Congress passed the $4.6 billion border aid bill the president has yet to sign. $2.9 billion will go to the Department of Health and Human Services. Some of the remaining budgets are expected to be given to Customs and Border Patrol to improve their facilities.

However, there is no funding for the border wall and chances of the President signing this bill does not look good. In a tweet on 4th of July morning he wrote. "If Illegal Immigrants are unhappy with the conditions in the quickly built or refitted detentions centers, just tell them not to come. All problems solved!" He also wrote that Border Patrol are not hospital workers, doctors, or nurses, yet it is the living conditions he has allowed these people to be held in that is making them sick.

It isn't the preconceived notion that the immigrants are carrying these infectious diseases into the facility. It's the filth, lack of sleep, cold, and "toxic stress" brought on by the warehousing of humans. In the month of May close to 150,000 immigrants were taken into custody. This is the highest monthly rate in 13 years. Yet the acting head of the Department of Homeland Security insists the conditions of one facility are not common in all the facilities.

Even if every family in America was willing to open their home to an immigrant child that does not solve the original problem. When the Border Agents separate the children from the adult that carried them into our country there must be a system of keeping track of them. Like a mother and newborn in the hospital.

As the infections grow to epidemic proportions in these facilities, the chances are that the countries many of these immigrants came from will more than likely not allow them to return until they are cured. This is putting a strain on our healthcare crisis unlike before. The battle over universal healthcare and the discussion of whether immigrants should be entitled will not be overlooked and could be a major deciding factor in our next presidential election. Either way, a solution is imperative to the health and welfare of our country because unlike the students at Stanford, the immigrants can't stop the experiment.