5 Ways To Tackle Credit Overload In College

5 Ways To Tackle Credit Overload In College As A Sleep-Deprived Senior

So you think you can take 19 credits. Well, you can!

85

So you were ambitious and went into credit overload this semester. Cheers to you! You're hopefully right on track to graduate, if not ahead. Regardless of the reason you chose to bog yourself down with more work than others, here are some tips I've come up with along the way for a successful semester.

1. Make a daily to-do list for each class.

Every day I make a list of all of my classes and what is upcoming for each class. That includes assigned reading, homework and upcoming quizzes and tests. This allows me to visually plan what is on my plate for each day. I am also far less likely to forget an assignment if I continuously write it down until I complete it.

2. Prioritize these items!

Rank the items you just listed to your highest priority (due today or tomorrow) to least priority (due a few weeks from now). This allows you to manage your time and get what you need to get done on time.

3. Try to do your homework on the day it is assigned.

I understand that this is obviously easier said than done. But, one of my professors gave my class this advice in my very first semester of college, and I have remembered it and cherished that advice ever since.

If you are assigned homework on Monday in a class that meets Monday, Wednesday and Friday, it is much better to get it out of the way on Monday afternoon rather than wait until Tuesday night (or Wednesday morning, if you're good at procrastinating). This also lessens your workload on weekends.

4. Etch out time every day to spend in the library.

I never used to believe it when people said you do better work in the library because at home you have more freedom and are distracted. Now that I am in my senior year of college, I have finally found that to be true. I wish I realized that sooner. Now I spend at least three hours a day in the campus library three days a week. If you want to spread it out to one hour a day, that's fine, too. Find a schedule that works for you.

5. Keep your eye on the prize.

My university has a web page with a countdown to graduation. I keep it bookmarked on my laptop. When I am feeling unmotivated, I click the link and remind myself of how many days there are until graduation. If your university doesn't have this feature, you can make your own graduation countdown on a variety of countdown websites. Find something tangible to focus on achieving. You can do this!