Dear Tomi,

I am appalled by the election of Donald Trump. I am genuinely terrified that Russia has demonstrated the ability to intervene in our democratic process. It disgusts me that, because I live in California, my vote counts for less than the votes of citizens of any other state. I am genuinely worried by the fact that our military’s next commander-in-chief spends his time dishing out insults on Twitter instead of attending intelligence briefings. I believe everybody should have access to family planning services and healthcare, and it sickens me that the majority of Congress wants to take that away. Most of all, I am afraid that, in my lifetime, my hometown of Los Angeles could be underwater because our next president and a significant portion of Congress refuse to believe the scientists who say that our impact on the environment is ruining our climate. I use my writing to express my views and opinions, as the First Amendment gives me the right to do, but to you, I’m just complaining and whining.

In your recent “Final Thoughts,” you clearly lay out your attack on “special snowflakes.” You bash us for believing that everyone should have access to higher education, so they can be better equipped to enter the job market and make a living for themselves. You attack us for wanting to help the immigrants who come to our great nation looking for better lives. You call us out for our refusal to condemn all of Islam for the actions of a few extremists (that are opposed by most Muslims). You attack us for speaking out against the racist, narcissistic, misogynistic, inexperienced president-elect that a majority of America did not vote for. You show anger towards us whenever we say or do anything that goes against your beliefs.

In your interview with Trevor Noah, you said that “when you’re protesting a fair and free election…you’re gonna get called on your s**t.” You think that, in our system of democracy, members of the minority party shouldn’t have the right to vocalize their opinions. You say that protestors in are sore losers, and they need to “clear the streets [and] move on.” You say that to kneel during the national anthem as a form of protest is “to disrespect our flag and our anthem.” Among the many people who disagree with you about the right to protest the government are the founders of our great nation, who wrote that our country “shall not…[abridge] the freedom of speech…or the right of the people peaceably to assemble.” Our country was designed to give EVERYONE a voice, even if they disagree with the party in power.

That being said, I do not deny your right to attack us liberals. It is your First Amendment right to criticize our ideology, just as it is ours to criticize yours. I do, however, question the effectiveness of your rhetorical style. You have a large following, and you use your platform to attack those who disagree with you, even though your party won the election. What benefit is it to you to complain about us when the politicians you support are the ones in office? At the end of the day, all of us want to make America better, we just have different views on how to go about it. I believe that the ideal solution lies somewhere between our two ideologies. Our country’s biggest problem today is the polarization that has prevented liberals and conservatives from looking past their differences and debating ideas instead of hurling insults. It seems as if we’ve forgotten that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird. If we really want to move this country forward, we must come together.

On that note, as much as I disagree with your ideology, I do not doubt that, beneath the anger and finger-pointing that you display on your show, you hold valid ideals. The fact that my values oppose yours would create a perfect starting point for constructive political discourse. If we put aside the negative emotions that we hold surrounding each other’s ideologies, we could learn a lot from each other. I know you most likely won’t ever see this, but on the off chance that you do, and you ever want to discuss and debate political issues, a link to my Twitter is at the bottom of this article, so feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

A “special snowflake.”