Tom Holland Is The Best Portrayal Of The Iconic Character, Spider-Man, For These 8 Reasons— No Argument

He's the perfect portrayal and no one can change my mind

272
Instagram

If anyone knows anything about me, it's that Spider-Man is my all time favorite Marvel character. So it's only natural that I am extremely opinionated about the actors who portray him, and after some extreme critical thinking, I have decided that Tom Holland has done an exceptional job at embodying everything the original Spider-Man in the comic books is like.

Don't get me wrong, Tobey Maguire was iconic in his role, and he may be the original, but let's be honest, he's not the best. Holland portrays the character in ways that Maguire and Andrew Garfield just never could.

So if you don't believe me, you must not have seen "Avengers: Infinity War" (and you need to fix that ASAP) and take a look at these 8 reasons that prove Holland's portrayal is the best version of this iconic character.

1. He actually looks like a teenager.

Let's get one thing straight: Peter Parker is supposed to be 15-years-old and in previous editions, he has looked anything but.

In the original "Spider-Man" movie, Maguire was 27-years-old and in "The Amazing Spider-Man" Garfield was 29 (Yeah, they were both almost 30-years-old!), and if you think either of them looked like teenagers, you need to get your eyes checked.

They stand out like a sore thumb in the high school setting, and it just isn't a good fit. Holland is currently 21, but when post-production wrapped up for "Captain America: Civil War" he was 19, and the difference between him and the other two actors is that he's young and he looks it. And honestly, I'd much rather see a 21-year-old portray a 15-year-old than a man who is about to turn 30.

2. He's a realistic character.

"You have a metal arm? That is awesome, dude" is literally something any millennial would say if confronted with Bucky Barnes. In "Captain America: Civil War", Holland's scene captures Peter's youthful wit by how he just can't stop his playful banter while fighting.

3. He's not afraid to cry.

Some may say this is the cheesiest part of "Homecoming," but I couldn't disagree more. This is hands-down one of the best moments in any superhero movie because at the end of the day, Peter is just a kid and he reminds his audience that he is one.

He's trapped under rubble and he realizes that he's not like his counterparts--he's not an invincible god like Thor and he's not as strong as the Hulk--he's just a 15-year-old who can get seriously hurt, and he's afraid he's going to die.

It's rare to see such an emotional scene in the MCU, and seeing Peter scream and cry for help (like any of us would do in a situation like that) is something that audiences haven't seen in many superhero films. It's excellent acting, and it's 10 times better than Maguire's ugly-crying face.

4. He's genuinely funny.

Maguire was funny in a cringe-worthy, second-hand embarrassment way (that's right, I'm looking directly at you "Spider-Man 3;" that dance scene was not needed), but Holland's Spider-Man showcases some great physical comedy and one-liners in each movie he's featured in. It's a great change of pace, and it is much appreciated.

5. He definitely embodies that friendly neighborhood Spider-Man more.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember any of the other Spider-Man's giving an old lady directions and then having that old lady buy him a churro.

6. The relationship between him and Tony Stark is honestly too cute.

It's the dynamic duo that I didn't know I needed until it happened. Did any of the other Spider-Man's have this? No, they had weirdo Harry Osborn.

7. He isn't portrayed as someone who has zero friends with a lot of social anxiety.

Holland's Spider-Man is staying true to the original character because he's still embodying the "dorky kid" archetype, but Maguire and Garfield's character suffered in certain aspects with this trait. Garfield's Spider-Man was way too edgy and Maguire's was just overly awkward. All in all, they both seemed more like troubled loners instead of just outsiders.

In "Homecoming," Peter actually has friends and he's a part of extracurricular school activities, and audiences can see that he's a "normal" kid (for the most part). Sure, there's bits of awkward flailing and rambling here and there, but that's a normal thing that happens with all teenagers.

8. He fits right in with the Avengers.

And if you don't believe me on this, you just need to see "Infinity War." We got a great sneak-peek of it in "Civil War," and Holland meshed extremely well with the rest of the cast and showed that he is a great asset to the team. Sure, Maguire and Garfield were alright in their portrayals but can you really imagine either of them fighting Thanos? I know that I can't.