Dear Incoming Ole Miss Freshmen

Dear Incoming Ole Miss Freshmen

An insight from someone who has been in your shoes.

62
Dear Incoming Ole Miss Freshmen
Taran Carrasco

Dear Incoming Freshmen,

This time last year, I was right where you are right now. I was picking out all the last minute things for my dorm room, getting all my books for my classes, reading up on every article about college. I was trying to prepare myself for the biggest year of my life. I tried to anticipate what it would be like. I thought of the friends I was going to make, the memories I was going to create, the stress I would feel. I just thought I was ready; I thought that I knew exactly how my freshmen year was going to go. I was naive enough to think that I knew everything there was to know about freshman year and that I had it all figured out.

Here is the thing: there is no possible way that you will be able to fully anticipate how your freshmen year is going to go. You can read articles for weeks, and you still won't be prepared; freshmen year is something we all have to experience for ourselves. For everyone freshmen year looks different, but there are some things I can give you a little insight on. First off, the people you are going to meet, and the friendships you are going to form will be irreplaceable. You will wonder how you maybe it this far without them. In college, people come from all walks of life, and from all over the country and from countries all over the world. Embrace that. Get to know someone next to you in your classes. Make friends with someone who looks different than you, speaks differently than you, thinks differently than you - I promise you it is so worth it. Get involved in something you are passionate about. If you do not get selected for things, please keep applying, and do not get discouraged. Believe me: doors close only for other doors to open. There are events across campus all the time. Take the time to go to things like a cool art exhibit, a Black History Month program, or a campus ministry. Do all the "basic freshmen things" because you are only a freshman once, and I promise you that you will regret it later if you sit out. You will find a special place on campus, and once you do, make that your personal corner of your school. Some days, you will look around in amazement and ask yourself, "how did I get here?" There will be moments where you are simply so happy that you just have to throw your head back and laugh. It is a year of growth, beauty, and joy.

Freshmen year is not all sunshine and unicorns; I would be lying to you if I told you that. Go ahead and mentally prepare for the lows. Prepare for the weeks where you have three major tests, four meetings, an interview, and you can hardly find the time to fit in meals. You are going to have some crazy, busy days - and weeks. When you do, take some deep breaths, and take delight in the fact that you have the awesome opportunity to be experiencing college. You are going to have some tests where you studied for weeks only to make a C. That is okay. Your grades do not define you - your work ethic does. You will have days where even though you are surrounded by thousands of people, you will feel alone. We have all been there. Call your family; tell them you love and miss them, and that usually does the trick. You will question who you are, and what you believe in. Do not let this scare you - it just means you are growing. For some of you there might be heartbreak, roommate arguments, you may drift apart from friends, recruitment may work out a little differently than you expected - I don't know. I cannot prepare you for this year, and I really really really wish I could. But I simply can't. I can just tell you that this will be a year unlike any year you have ever had.

It will be the year of your life. You will have that "Freshmen Forever" feeling. You will feel more alive than ever before. You will stick your head out the window while you drive and you will feel on top of the world. You will be hoarse after every football game. You will spend too much money, and eat too much food. You will laugh until you have tears running down your face, and you will cry over some of the silliest things. You will meet people that make your heart so full it could burst. You will see and experience things that shift your whole perspective. You will find a home - no matter if its your campus, greek house, extracurricular, or even a person. You will thrive. If you believe it - if you believe in yourself - then truly, you will thrive.

This is your year. Go ahead and commit to making this the year of your dreams. Study hard, like really really hard. Love on the people around you. Make friends with your professors. Reach out to your older friends. Do things that are normally out of your comfort zone. Stand up for what you believe in. Eat cookies at midnight. Sing with your friends. Take advantage of every opportunity this year throws at you. And for God's sake please love and take care of yourself. Conquer this year - own it - and it will be one of the very best years of your life.

Wishing each and every one of you the very best this year has to offer,

An Incoming Sophomore.