To The Person Who's Thinking Of Transferring

This is why I stayed.

12

To the person reading this:

I was you.

The first and even the second semester of my freshman year, there was nothing I wanted more than to leave my college. Before I started college, I was in the same environment with the same people for fourteen years—long time, right?

Having said that, I felt like I didn't belong. I didn't have any friends, wasn't apart of any clubs, and all I did was go home and go to classes with nothing in between. Don't get me wrong, I had good grades, but I felt like I needed more. It's important to have a good GPA, as well as having a support system in place, but in order to have that support system you need to get involved.

Eventually, I started to look at different schools because I felt discouraged. Then I said to myself "wait a minute, there's probably tons of people who feel the same way as I do." I started to go to events and talking to people in my class. I made a pact with myself to talk to a different person every day. I went from having zero friends to having one friend, and so on.

If I transferred from my college, I would have never gotten the opportunities that I have now, or gotten to know the faculty or my friends. Transferring would have been my biggest regret. I guess times like this is when the "fight or flight" theory comes in to play. Instead of leaving, I chose to stay and fight because I knew I could do it. Everything that I thought I wasn't going to get accomplished at OW I did, and I continue to do so.

Everyone has their own reasons for transferring, and my purpose of writing this isn't to stop you or to change your mind. Once your mind is set it's set, and no one should try to force their opinions on you. At the end of the day, its your education. My purpose for writing this is to let you know I understand. I understand how scary it can be to not know anyone and feel like you don't belong somewhere.

Before you decide, just think about all of the friends you could be making just by talking to one person a day.

I hope this article helped you in making your decision.

From,

Someone who's been there