To The Person Who Said Those Horrible Things From Behind The Safety Of A Screen

You can disagree with someone and still act like a decent human being. It's not that hard to show some respect for others.
14

Bullying. It's a word we all know very well, as it has sadly become a large topic of conversation in this day in time. Some of us may have been lucky enough to never experience it, but others have been not so fortunate.

I have experienced this type of harsh name calling, degrading way of getting your point across, especially since becoming a writer for Odyssey Online. Of course, it is expected that, when writing for such a well-known platform, you will experience "haters." People who have nothing better to do with their time than tear others down behind the safety of a screen. Social media makes it all too easy, since you never have to face the person you're being horrible to and you can even hide behind fake profiles.

When I write about things on here, I don't write to be liked. I don't write with the expectation that everyone will agree with my opinion on things, because that would simply be naive. However, I was always raised to respect other's opinions, no matter how much they differ from my own. Some folks weren't raised that way. I always try to throw in every article I write a little disclaimer stating that the there is nothing wrong with disagreeing with me. I am never saying my opinion is right. Because technically, opinions can't be right. THEY ARE OPINIONS. Some people can't handle respecting others. Maybe it takes too much maturity? Maybe it's entertaining to them to hurt others? I have no idea, but it needs to stop.

Thankfully, I consider myself decently strong-minded. I have been blessed with a wonderful support system of friends, family, and significant other. Others? Not so blessed. I can handle the rude comments, the name calling, and just the downright horrible stuff that should be reported. But some people? They can't. You never truly know what someone else is going through, and for you people to blatantly disrespect and bully someone you've never laid eyes on, in the most cowardly way possible, behind a computer screen? Let's just say that if a judgment day ever comes, y'all have some explaining to do.

I welcome other's opinions with open arms. By all means, if you completely and totally disagree with everything in one of my articles, let me know. BUT, do it respectfully, and act like a decent person. You do not know me. You have no right to call me stupid, worthless, naive, juvenile, or especially vulgar words when you have no idea who I am. And if all else fails, I like to go back to what my mama always taught me, "If you can't say nothing nice, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT."

This doesn't just go for me and other Odyssey creators, either. This is for anyone. That girl who loves to sing and posts a video of her singing on YouTube, and you may not think it sounds the best. She does not need your negativity. The extra curvy girl that wants to show off her new bikini. Don't you dare. The guy that loves politics and posts every CNN article with his opinion on HIS page, sure you can disagree, but DO NOT tear him down and call him stupid because he believes differently than you.

We are all God's children and He loves us equally. And if that's not what you believe then you can at least agree on the Golden Rule; treat others how you would like to be treated. Not one of us has any right to tear down someone else. Not one of us is better than someone else. We are all different for a reason, and I believe as decent human beings, we can all agree to disagree and respect one another.

RANT OVER.