To The People Who Have Hurt My Friends, And The People Who Will Soon

They deserve better than you, and you never deserved their second glance.

39
dawnashley / Flickr

Allow me to start with one thinly veiled threat: I don't know who you think you are or why you feel that you are so entitled, but you should know that your actions will come back to bite you. You committed an act that is unforgivable and the jury found that you are, without a doubt, guilty.

You hurt my friend — or will hurt my friend in the future — and I won't stand for it.

Who are you?

You are the boy who crushes her heart or the girl who tells him that he isn't up to your standards.

You're the friend who back-stabbed someone I care about or the stranger that made my friend uncomfortable.

You are or will be the person who has or will hurt my friend.

Who am I?

I am someone who cares about my friends, my family, my loved ones.

I'm the one who will send you icy glares in the aftermath when their heart hurts and you are the picture of indifference.

I care, and you didn't, and you don't deserve such power to not feel, or pretend that nothing is wrong.

Allow me to give you an example: the boy who took my friend's heart for granted, and decided to stomp on it when he found himself bored and moved onto the next, even though we all warned her that he was toxic and no good. You are the boy who never earned the right to make her feel the pain that she goes through.

You don't deserve to have such agency over anyone, but you made a mistake when you picked on my friend. I helped pick up the pieces you left behind, to make her feel some sort of happiness when you tried to dim her shine. That, frankly, is unforgivable, because she should never have needed the mending because you should never have hurt her.

But it's not simply to those of you who broke hearts in romantic relationships. If you were a friend of my friend, and you decided that betraying them was a good idea, let me tell you that you were sorely wrong. Shame on you who hid a figurative knife behind your back and waited until my friend was unsuspecting, had let you in far enough for your claws to sink in.

Shame on those who hurt my friends. Whoever you think you are, let me make myself clear: you do not have the right to hurt my friends and make them feel as if they are any less than the beautiful people that they are. I will never claim that they are perfect, or that I am — no one is perfect — but to those of you who think that you do not change lives by breaking hearts and severing ties, you are wrong. They deserve better than you, and you never deserved their second glance.

Next time, think before you cross someone else's friend and take them for granted like you did mine.