To The Overwhelmed Freshman, From Somebody Who Was JUST In Your Shoes
Education

The truth is, we're all struggling. Even the upperclassmen.

129

Dear Freshman,

It's the first test period, congratulations for making it this far!

You've probably had so many new experiences in the past month, it's too hard to keep count.

With all these new experiences, new friends, new life, its hard to keep track of what you're supposed to be doing in school. Trying to keep up with your social life while juggling school at the same time is honestly exhausting, I get it. You probably feel like you want to get the most out of college, so you never turn down the opportunity to do something fun, and now it's all catching up to you. Assignments pile up, test dates move closer, and you're left feeling like you're drowning. You miss your home and your old life, when the biggest thing you had to worry about is what you were gonna wear to your high school football game that Friday.

All you want to do is be at home, with your dog and a home-cooked meal, watching Netflix and avoiding responsibilities.

I was in your shoes one short year ago. I went from getting all As in high school to barely making Bs in my introductory classes. It's a hard adjustment, learning exactly how much work you must put into a class just to get by, all while missing home so much you could scream. And everyone around you seems to be living their best lives at college.

The truth is, we're all struggling. Even the upperclassmen. While we might not feel the same level of homesickness, we still long for the simplicity of the days before we were thrown into this world of making a name for yourself.

What I'm here to tell you, though, is that it does get easier. You learn from your mistakes. You figure out how to balance your school and your social life, and how to make sacrifices for what's important. While right now it may seem impossible, a year from now it'll all come to you naturally. You'll be glad you had this experience to learn from and shape who you turn out to be.

Sincerely, a Sophomore who's still learning the ropes.