To The Older Sibling Who Grew Up And Left The House

As much as I was upset to see you go, I was still very happy to see you finally spread your wings and leave the nest.

219
Brianna Moran

The day you decided that it was right to move out broke my heart. All of our bittersweet memories, all of our childhood moments, flashed before my eye.

I just reminisced on the Saturday mornings where Mom and Dad would wake us up early for a new adventure whether it was something big like Yankee's Stadium, or something small like grocery shopping... We all had so much together no matter what we were doing. All of our family game nights would soon be over, going out to dinner as a family would change, and one room in the house would be empty now.

But, whenever I walk by it, I still see you sitting on your bed talking late at night on the phone with friends.

I remember the day that you packed everything up and left for good. Mom and Dad put your last box in your car and we all said goodbye. I had tears in my eyes and I had a little bit of anger deep inside. Of course, at 11 years old, I still didn’t understand everything about adulting. This time I knew that you were not coming back to live with us because you would be starting your own life now.

Our parents raised all of us with a great mindset. I knew that you would succeed on your own. It was quite the pleasure to see you grow up into the amazing woman you are today. Being the younger sibling has its advantages and disadvantages. I was able to watch you go through so many phases that I thought would never happen to me but I was way wrong.

The only bad thing about being the younger sibling is that once they all grow up and leave, you sort of have to grow up without anyone else in the house. I wouldn’t trade the times I had with my older siblings for anything.

This is cliche, but we were sisters by chance, friends by choice, and I couldn’t be more grateful for that.