To the Mom I Never Met

To the Mom I Never Met

"The darkest days make for the brightest stars." -Witt Lowry

5216
To the Mom I Never Met
Matthew Driver

Cancer sucks. It takes away the sweetest, kindest and most important people in our lives. When I was eight years old, my grandmother lost her battle with cancer at the age of sixty-nine. When I was fifteen years old, my favorite coach lost his battle with cancer at the age of fifty-two. At eleven years old, my boyfriend lost his loving mother to cancer at the very young age of forty-four. There are so many things I want to say to these people. My boyfriend's mom especially. From what I've heard, she was an amazing lady. I know you are looking down on us Nancy, but if you were here, here is what I'd like to say to you.

1. You Raised a Great Boy.

Your boy is truly one of a kind. I've never met such a loving, sweet, and caring boy who puts everyone's needs before his own. He always makes sure everyone is doing okay and has the biggest heart I know. I heard he gets that from you, which I am beyond thankful for.

2. You'd Be So Proud of Him.

I know you are watching us from up there, but boy if you could just see how well your boy is doing, you'd smile from ear to ear. He's doing so well in school, has such great friends, and is not like a typical twenty year old (which I mean in a great way). He doesn't care about what people think and he does what he believes is the best choice. Most importantly, he treats everyone with respect and is a true gentleman.

3. He Treats Me Well.

One thing my parents alway stress to my brother is to always treat people with respect, especially girls. You hear about so many boys nowadays who treat their girlfriends so poorly. They cheat, lie, and make their girlfriends feel awful. Your boy is nothing close to these guys. If anything, he is the complete opposite. He is ALWAYS there for me when I need him. Whether it's at ten in the morning or ten at night. He does the little things that show me just how much he loves me and I fall more and more in love with him every time.

4. I Truly Love Him.

People always say that your significant other should be your best friend and your other half. When I see your son, that's what I see. He is my absolute best friend. I smile just thinking about him. I love that boy more than I love my cat, and anyone who knows me knows how much I love that cat. What I am trying to say is that your boy is in good hands. I love him, my family loves him, my friends love him, and there will not be a day when that love stops.

5. Thank You.

Thank you for blessing me with a boy who is the most genuine person I know. He actually cares about his family, his friends, and me. His work ethic and determination to succeed in life and in school is truly amazing and these qualities definitely rubbed off on me. He also makes me feel like the luckiest girl on earth. He does the little things: makes sure I am comfortable, tells me he loves me, and will drop everything he's doing just to make sure I'm okay. So, thank you for that.

I always think about you. I think about how unfair it is to you, your family, and friends that you were taken away so young. From what I have heard from my mom, your amazing husband, and sweet best friend (who I love so so much), you were such an amazing woman. You raised three great sons, one in which I have had the pleasure in calling my boyfriend for the past two and a half years. If you were here today, I know you would be so proud to see how great of a man your little boy has grown up to be. I know I am and everyone else is too. Thank you for giving me the best gift I could ask for: your son--the boy who continues to make me smile and make me the happiest girl on Earth.