To The Millennial Christian Woman Who Is "Ashamed Of Her Generation"

I see your ignorance and I raise you some kindness.

14
Dana Pineda

Let me make one thing clear, I do not hate you for being devout to your religion. In fact, it's rather admirable, actually. As someone who was raised Catholic myself, I have found it hard in the past couple of years to strengthen my relationship with God. So, I admire that you feel that your relationship with your God is strong. However, after reading your article, I couldn't help but scratch my head. See, the problem I had with your argument is that is was just ignorant. There were so many inaccuracies that I couldn't help but laugh a few times. But hey, love the person, hate the sin right?

Islam does not require women to "cover their face". It is the choice of a Muslim woman whether or not they want to wear a hijab. Yes, it is true that there are women who are forced to wear it, and that is unfortunate, but generalizing an entire religion is also unfortunate. Islam is also not outright against Christianity, Catholicism, or any other Western religion. This is where we get into the argument of Jihad vs. Shariah law. This is something I will not delve too much into since I am not qualified to speak on the subject, but I will say that terrorism is definitely not something Islam preaches. Most Muslims I have met are wonderful and kind people who wish just as much as we do that terrorism didn't exist. With that being said, homegrown terrorism is something that most people choose to ignore because they believe that our own citizens wouldn't do something like that. Surprise, it is very much a thing. You would be amazed what anyone can find on the internet nowadays.

In regards to your argument that our country was built on immigration, but not under these conditions, you have somewhat of a point. Protestants came over to America from England on the Mayflower in order to escape religious persecution. However, they came into contact with Native Americans who had already been living in this land. What followed was years of torment for the Native Americans. Do I have to remind you of the Trail of Tears? Fast forward a few decades and we have had segregation laws galore. This includes the Asian Exclusion Act and segregation in schools and other public places during the civil rights era. Throughout all of this, nobody stopped to think, "Wow, you what would I think would happen?

If we all just accept each other for who we are instead of trying to keep each other in boxes, people wouldn't get angry." One of the main reasons a lot of countries hate us is because we are starting to write a narrative on hate and discrimination again. Very little refugees are terrorists. Most, if not all, are just trying to escape a terrible situation going on in their homeland. It's as simple as that. If we are not willing to help other people, the less likely other countries will help us when the time comes. I respect that President wants to protect us from terrorists, I really do. But history has proven that exclusion acts don't work. Oh yeah, and that wall he wants to build along the US-Mexico border will never work. Most undocumented immigrants actually arrive in this country by plane, and guess what, planes can fly over walls.

I'm also sorry that you don't see...sorry let me rephrase...that yourefuse to see what women are fighting for. Most American women are fighting for the right to their bodies. This doesn't just include abortions, it includes birth control, contraceptives, family planning, menstrual products, and more. You may say you are pro-life, but once the baby is born, what then? Sure, adoption is an option, but are you willing to help ease the cost of prenatal care for that woman for the time being? What about C-sections, if it is needed? According to the health care bill our President and the Republican Party is proposing, no. Abortion is not the first choice of every pregnant woman, but it should be an option if she finds that her financial or health situation makes her unfit to raise a baby. In no way am I saying that abortion is ideal, but what I am saying is that if the government is going to force a woman to have a baby regardless of what situation she is in, the government should make provisions to ensure the welfare of that baby.

I would also like to know what you think transsexuals do when they're in the bathroom. I'm curious as to what you are imagining to make you disgusted to share a bathroom with them. I'll give you hint, they go to the bathroom. They do their business just like you and me. Do you really think that LGBT people choose their sexual identity? Did you choose to be heterosexual? Of course not. If we suppress an important part of someone's identity, it will only lead to resentment. Think of it this way, what if it was your child? Would you force them to be "normal"? If your answer is yes, then I can only guarantee that your child will only end up hating you and themselves.

This is already getting pretty wordy, so I will point out one last thing before I go. Many of the things you pointed out are going on in third world countries is happening right here at home. They may be happening on a smaller scale, but they are still happening. There are 45 million Americans who are living under the poverty line, 1 in 4 women will be sexually assaulted in college, and approximately 3.5 milllion people are homeless. We could be helping them, but instead, the top 2% wants to keep everything to themselves. I get it, you worked hard, but that is no excuse to turn a blind eye to people in need.

I get it, you were raised a certain way and you may have been raised to believe certain things. However, do not believe for even a second that that makes you morally superior to anybody. Don't even think that this "high standard" that you hold yourself to is any higher than say a gay man or a treanssexual woman, or a bi-curious teenager. We may have it pretty good in America, but we could do better. We can always do better, and I'm sorry that you can't see the bigger picture here. I'm also okay with the fact that you don't identify as your "average millennial woman." I'm pretty sure most average millennial women wouldn't want to identify with you either.

*Mic drop.*