To The Liberal Arts Student

To The Liberal Arts Student

It is not all fun and games.
11

I was once told my major is a joke. Okay, that is not exactly what he meant and after many fights later we have gotten over it, but still it affected me. The collegial world seems to have this stigma about majors involving liberal arts. It is not taken seriously. It is not concrete, and that has evoked fear in people so they simply say it is not a real major.

Majors like math, science, business- they are all concrete. They are surrounded my numbers, evidence, proof. There are people out there in the world who cannot believe in something they do not have evidence of. It is cognitively impossible for them to look at writing, art, music as real because there is nothing concrete about the arts. It is up for interpretation, it is abstract. Liberal arts majors, you are what make this world beautiful. You are what give us variety, culture. While our studies may not be concrete, they are beautiful. Our music, art, writing is an interpretation of our minds and hearts and that is something that could never be concrete, and I think that is brilliant.

We are the passion in the world. Typically someone who goes into liberal arts has the largest passion for their career path. That makes you great at your job. A passion, in my opinion, is the greatest thing in this life you can have. We all know the rush of finishing a project, looking at it, and thinking "it is great." We all have this certain high we get when we are perfecting our craft. That high is better than anything in this world, when the adrenaline hits there is nothing like it. Passion is the most important aspect.

We have to read instructors more than anyone else. Because what we do is not concrete, we have to analyze how the instructor operates by day two. This makes our classes harder to an extent. Because while you may hate bears, your instructor is obsessed with bears so you have to create this piece about bears. It is draining having to do projects you do not necessarily like, but yet he likes bears so he will get bears and I will get an A.

So to anyone who does think a liberal arts joke is a joke: you are wrong. It is not a joke, it is a blessing to have found a passion in this world that I love. I am not some starving artist who has no idea what I am going to do with my life. I have a plan, and chances are I will make more than you at the end of the day. When you have a career you love, you will never work a day in your life. That will ring true in my life, can you say the same?