To The Girl Who Feels She's Not Good Enough

Perfection is a myth. You are the only person you need to be good enough for.

50

"Comparison is the thief of joy." --Franklin D. Roosevelt.

Feeling a little down lately? I know the feeling. So, girls: listen up. This quote is, in fact, true to its roots. I'm sure most girls have already come to the conclusion that pretending to be someone they're not takes away their own happiness. No one should ever have to compare themselves to somebody else to fit in. That's actually disheartening, and not how it should be.

Guess what? I was once that girl. I've been there.

I was the one who would dress or act the same way as a certain person or clique. This occurred back in grade school and a little bit of high school, before I truly found who I was. I was constantly dependent, and always relying on other people to get up to higher standards. I wanted to climb up to their level, and be like them.

Why wasn't I like them?

Why can't I be them?

Ever since I could remember, I've had very bad self-esteem issues. The self-confidence was basically floating near zero, and my mind was worrying about what others were doing. I worried about what other people thought of me. I beat myself up over a bad grade, which usually was a B, because I hated getting anything below an A. I never felt good enough or "worth it" at home, and I struggled with trying to find my own way. I desperately needed reassurance, like I was obligated to seek it through someone other than myself.

There were nights where I would place my head in my hands, and my brain would not let me rest. There was that repeating wonder of why other girls were better than me, and why they received the most attention. What do they have that I don't? Have I failed at something? What did I do wrong? I was also trying my best to think of better ways to make me finally feel like I belong, like I matter.

Again, this was before I found out who I really was... before I knew that I was destined for greatness. But only for ME and my own good. Comparison is definitely a thief of joy. No doubt, and I would never go back. I enjoy being happy.

Girls: you DO matter. You ARE destined for greatness. You ARE good enough. Perfection is a myth. You are the only person you need to be good enough for. That's the thing; don't let people fool you into thinking you don't belong, because they have an ugly tendency of doing that. You ARE worth it.

I admit that I do still think about this from time to time. Especially from being in college, I've been doubting myself and thinking negatively. The thoughts and the stress just continue to pile up out of my control. I still beat myself up over grades! But I've learned that I can only do the best I can. I must try my hardest, because that's all that matters. You must do what's best for you, and ONLY you. Focus on you.

Everything will be okay, and time will tell what happens with everything. But it is a known fact that you have control of your own life and you have to make the best possible decisions. You don't need a certain person or clique to determine who you are.

You are worth way more than what you think. Yes, people make mistakes. Do not punish yourself because you mess up a little bit. I mess up quite a lot, and every mistake is a lesson learned! Remember: you're allowed to have moments. I have them a lot. But don't forget: it's just a bad day, not a bad life.

Whether it be a bad break-up or a bad grade, you will overcome it. These do not define you. You were put on this Earth for a reason, girl. So, if you're not feeling good enough for anyone or anything, shun that from your mind. Do your best, because that's all you're capable of doing. After all, you're human.

You got this. Go kick some butt, and show the world what you got. You are worth it. You are good enough!