To The Girl I Wanted To Be

To The Girl I Wanted To Be

I failed.

32
To The Girl I Wanted To Be

It's not rare that I often pass myself in the mirror and take more than a look at myself physically. As a maturing woman, I have grown to understand that I don't always look in the mirror and see the girl I once wanted to become. I have come to realize that a lot of the plans I had for my life never came true. In fact, I am a huge failure compared to "that girl." I have also come to realize that some of the plans that came to be are instead greater than I could ever imagine.

A letter to the girl I thought I would become: I am glad I turned out differently than you expected.

Dear that girl,

I use to pass you in the mirror and look you right in the eye and feel sorry for failing your expectations. I am sorry I didn't go to Harvard and I am sorry no Ivy League school thought I was good enough for them. I am sorry I am no great athlete that people strive to be like, but what I am not sorry for is being better than the girl you wanted me to become.

I am wise. While Harvard or Princeton may not have sent me letters of acceptance, I have more wisdom in moments of life than I could have ever gained in a classroom. I am more knowledgeable. not from things that a professor taught me, but rather from things I learned as I matured into the individual I am today. I am strong. Although I do not have a gym membership or muscular figure to show off, I am strong because I know my weaknesses and am not afraid to confront them with utmost confidence. I am successful. No, I do not have an amazing job right now, and yes, I am far from that point in my life, but that is okay. I am a college student who you probably think isn't "successful", but I measure my success at a value higher than money, and that is something you cannot take away from me.

I know I did not meet your expectations, but I have made a better life for myself by not achieving all that I had hoped. Ultimately, I am happier than ever imaginable, and I although am far different from the girl you wanted me to be, I am so much better. Now when I look in the mirror, I don't question where I failed because where I am now is so much better than wherever I wanted to be. I love being the girl you didn't expect me to become, and I can't wait to keep achieving more than ever planned.