To The Friend I Won't Forget
popular

To The Friend I Won't Forget

You may have left, but you'll never be gone.

6600
To The Friend I Won't Forget
Lizzie Britner

To My Dear Friend,

When I can't find the right words to say, I write. And when we lost you so suddenly a week ago, I knew this would be the one of those times. They say only the good die young, and now I know that must be true. You weren't just good. You, my friend, were magnificent.

Unstoppable. Fearless. Faithful. Loyal. Adventurous. Loving. Kind. Spiritual. These are just a few of the many words I could use to describe you. In your short life, you accomplished more than most people ever will. You were bold and always fiercely yourself. You believed in God with your whole being. And that love you had for him was seen by all who were blessed enough to be around you.

When we graduated from high school, we both went our separate ways. I headed north and you headed south. And like most high school friends. we slowly lost contact. We followed each other's lives through social media, and we would catch up every now and then. But nothing was the same as walking the halls of school together every day. Though we may not have talked frequently, I knew you would always be there. Whether it had been days. weeks, or months since we talked, there are some friendships you just don't forget. And I know I will never forget ours.

I remember when we met. We were at the St. Mark school festival, and our mutual friends introduced us. I insisted it was our first time meeting, but you swore we had met before. What should have been an awkward encounter turned into one of our many funny memories.

I remember taking geometry together sophomore year of high school. We wrote notes on our calculators so that our teacher wouldn't catch us. We spent the whole class talking about the boys we liked, or our plans for the weekend. Probably makes sense now why neither one of us was very good at geometry.

And when we didn't have our calculators, we exchanged good, old fashioned, hand written notes. Notes that I still have and read frequently today. Notes filled with our high school fears, hopes, and dreams. Notes filled with friendship.

I remember going on spring break our junior year together. You, me, and Mallory drove down through the night just us girls. I remember laying on the beach and both of us reading nonstop. And I remember when you finished Divergent and were so mad at the ending that you ruined it for me, too. You said you knew me well enough that you knew I wouldn't like it. I never read those books. I trusted you, so I knew I didn't need to.

I remember all of the school dances. Going to prom, homecoming, and all those Friday night football games. I remember cheering you on at your games, and you cheering me on at mine. I remember the sleepovers. I remember how mad you would get when I would bring my own food because I thought you ate too healthy. But then we would both laugh at how ridiculous I looked carrying grocery bags full of junk food into your house. I remember the school lunches, talking at our lockers, and studying for exams like our lives depended on it. And of course, I remember the celebratory breakfast dates we'd have every finals week, too.

And I remember senior year. When we knew our time was dwindling down, but there was nothing we could do to stop it. I remember going on senior retreat together and growing in our faith. I remember our final spring break and our final classes together. And I remember when I fell for someone we both knew wasn't right. I made choices I wasn't proud of, choices that you knew were wrong. But you stuck by me all the same. And when it all came to its inevitable end, you were one of the first people I called. You hugged me, told me it would all be okay, and we never talked about it again.

I remember graduation. The day we thought would never come. I watched you walk across that stage and couldn't believe how old we were becoming. I remember our last summer together. Going to the lake with our closest friends and screaming while flying off the tube. I remember saying goodbye as we headed off for college. Both excited and nervous for the changes and opportunities that were ahead of us. I remember following each other through social media. The occasional comments or texts about how we couldn't wait to catch up and be together again. A reunion that never got to happen.

And now I'll remember that phone call, when I found out you had left this earth forever. I'll remember the days after, when my memories from high school began to hit me hard. I'll remember slowly reaching out to all our old friends. No one really knowing what to do or say to each other. I'll remember trying to make sense of it all, because things like this just can't happen to someone as good as you. But there are some things we just can't make sense of, no matter how hard we try.

I'll remember your funeral. Seeing so many people from so many different places grieving the loss of a truly amazing friend. I'll remember the hugs and the tears. And I'll remember seeing you for the last time. But I won't remember it as a goodbye, because I know it will only be a see you later.

All of these memories aren't just mine. They are ours. They belong to all of us who will stay behind and remember you. Because those few bad days don't erase a lifetime of joy and happiness. They don't take away your beautiful soul, and they certainly don't take away your inspiring spirit.

I consider myself incredibly blessed to have been a small part in your extraordinary life. Anyone who knew you was better for it. I know I certainly am. So I know we'll see each other again one day. And until then, you'll remain here in my heart. True friendships don't fade with time, and they don't disappear with distance. This may be the greatest test we've faced, but I know our friendship will only grow stronger from it.

I'll miss you more than I can say, but I know you can feel it from my heart. Though I'm sad to see you go, it makes me happy to know you've finally returned home.

I love you, Mere. Rest in peace and love.

Love always,

Your Dear Friend