To The Friend Who Should Have Graduated With Me

You missed the laughs, the memories, and the friends.

10
Facebook

You’ve missed a lot. You missed our junior ring ceremony. You missed high school graduation. You missed prom, senior cruise, and our theater banquets. You missed our senior night before the final show. You missed all the graduation parties. You missed our very first day of college. You missed our first college show. You missed the week-long theatre festivals we went to. You missed all the college events where we took pictures. You missed the laughs, the memories, and the friends.

Now, we have graduated with our Associate’s degrees, and you’ve missed that too. We walked across the same stage where we walked to receive our high school diplomas two years ago, the walk you should have taken with us. With a new chapter of life beginning again, I find myself thinking about all the experiences we would have had if life had been kinder to you. I imagine your laugh and contagious smile filling the campus, the teachers we would have shared, the students you would have influenced, the never ending jokes, your performances on the stage. All are shadows from memories which never had the chance to flourish.

Your resting place is never dull or without sparkle, just like you. Whenever I visit, I always leave with at least a small smile on my face from all the happiness surrounding the site, and I know you wouldn’t want it any other way. It now seems so long ago that we were goofing off and laughing face to face. For a long time, I could easily remember all the moments we shared together. Now, almost four years have gone by since you left, and it seems like all the memories blur and mix as one. But contemplating life without you seems more and more inadequate. Even though you are not physically here, it does not mean that you are still not here in a different way.

I see you in the joy that arises from kind and simple actions. I see you in the passionate moments of a scene when goosebumps scatter across open skin. I see you in the sun rays and butterflies that flutter across my path at just the right time. I see you in the trails of bright, golden glitter which shimmers in every which way. I hear you on the radio when your song is played randomly out of the blue. And a couple of times, I’ve had the joy of hearing your laugh in my dreams for a couple of seconds.

So really, you haven’t missed anything at all. You’ve been here the whole time as our biggest cheerleader and most supportive friend. Thank you for being there in the crowd at all our ceremonies. Thanks for the reminders that you are still performing with us every show. Thanks for the signs you send when we need it, and for the signs when we don’t know we need it. Thanks for sticking around to tackle college with us. Most importantly, above all else, thank you for being our friend.

Inspiritu.