To The Extroverts: Learn How To Be Alone

It's only in being alone that you learn who you are.

15
Unsplash

I've always hated being alone. Most extroverts do, and I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. After all, I'd like to think I'm fairly intriguing at parties, and I'm making other people feel comfortable. At the very least, my introvert friends should be thankful for my ability to redirect the attention away from them when I notice they're overwhelmed. Extroverts are better at public speaking, usually, we're good at being the center of attention, and debate club is a walk in the park for us. However, extroverts really suck at being alone.

We're the people who can't eat meals alone. You all probably know that person who can't ever go to the bathroom alone, or get dinner alone, or get her mail alone, or even study alone. If you don't know that person, you ARE that person. Trust me. People always need to fill our time, non-stop. It's just the way we're wired.

I was really good at not being alone in high school. I filled my time with choirs and plays and activities, constantly surrounded by people. Coming to college, I never spent a second without someone nearby, at least. And then I stayed on campus all summer long, alone. And it was an experience, to say the least. I was bored. I was unfocused. I had no direction. I was lonely. It was not fun. However, it was during those three months that I finally learned how to be alone.

Extroverts, life is loud. We tend to be swayed by the voices around us, and in that swaying, we may lose ourselves for a moment. You need to have moments of being alone in order to get to know yourself. For the more outgoing of you readers, that's probably a terrifying thought. I know being alone with my thoughts seriously freaked me out for the majority of my life. But you are a dynamic, multifaceted and deeply intriguing individual, and you will never truly get to know that person without the influence of other people until you find a second when everyone shuts up and leaves you by your lonesome. Especially if you're dealing with something deeper, like an anxiety or depression or any of those fun mental things, you're never going to find any peace until you learn to deal with those voices and realize which ones are worth listening to.

So. You have a few days coming up when you're going to be off for Thanksgiving. Spend time with friends and family and fill your little extrovert heart to the brim, but I have a suggestion: be alone for a bit. Go eat out without your usual entourage following you around. Bury yourself in a book. Turn off the devices for a second and spend time with a person worth knowing: you.